Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Wall-E" another winner from Pixar

Continuing an enviable creative and commercial trend, Pixar has made it nine-for-nine with their latest, Wall-E. I already told you how critics nationwide were heaping praise on the post-apocalyptic robot romance as if it were the Second Coming. But sometimes a movie will connect with critics differently than with audiences, so last night Wendy and I put Wall-E to the "average moviegoer" test.

Let me start by saying that critics are right to say that you've never seen a movie like this. Yes, it has elements reminiscent of other sci-fi epics (like Star Wars or Aliens), yet it feels completely fresh and unique. As you have learned from the trailers, Wall-E is the last functioning robot left on Earth, and throughout the first 25 minutes or so of the movie, we learn about his lonely life compacting trash on a planet that has become overrun by it. While this section is certainly the least conventional, it is also the most engaging. Director Andrew Stanton's vision of a futuristic Earth equal parts magnificent and haunting, and Wall-E's survival in this world is fascinating.

To say that the rest of the movie is less-effective is probably unfair, since it contains loads more charm and imagination than almost anything else out there. Let's just say that as Wall-E's subsequent adventures become slightly less focused on him and his "directive" (which may or may not involve holding hands with a sleek and curvy visiting robot named EVE), the movie loses a bit of the warmth and simplicity that so successfully fills the first half.

I wouldn't say that this film is necessarily a "message movie" because it never feels preachy or agenda-driven. Having said that, the themes of environmental neglect and lazy human consumption are the critical backdrop of Wall-E's journey, and the indirect antagonist as well. Pretty heavy for a kid's film, right? The screening we attended was a late show and completely child-free, so I was unable to tell how children were reacting to the adventure. I suspect that they would have been a little antsy during some of the slower moments, but that they would have ultimately been won-over by Wall-E and his good-natured spirit to the point that they wouldn't think too hard about the darker underlying themes.

While the film predictably ends in a happy place, I couldn't help but feel slightly unsettled by the world that I had just seen. Though it is filled with cheery characters and amazingly inventive visuals, it's probably the most unnerving feel-good film I can remember seeing; I wanted to drive straight to the forest and take a deep breath of fresh mountain air.

The creative minds behind Wall-E have succeeded in telling a story that I won't soon forget. That it is a slightly less-satisfying film than some of Pixar's other efforts shouldn't take away from the fact that it is visually and emotionally arresting in ways that you wouldn't expect. I'm dying to hear what you think. (***1/2 out of four)

10 comments:

Erica Eley said...

Matt and I had the privilege to see Wall-E and we think it's the most poignant Pixar film created. It's our favorite by far. Of course, Wall-E basically captured our hearts from the moment we laid eyes on him. "Is he for sale? Because I want to take him home!" Not so he can compact our garbage... I mean, not only is he cuter than a button, but he sees reason in everything; Everything has a purpose.
The theater was packed, (mostly adults), and the audience was totally captivated and pin-drop silent during the "serious" or touching scenes, and bursting out in laughter at the humorous occasions, (and there were many)! The message behind Wall-E was evident, and we were pleasantly surprised that it carried such a loud teaching/warning. It made me want to be better to myself and my fellow human beings, as well as be better to my home, aka Earth.
I rate Wall-E a galaxy of stars out of four.

Justin said...

I'm glad you loved it, Erica. It did very well over the weekend, so you weren't the only one who enjoyed it.

Michelle said...

Haven't seen it yet, but we're looking forward to it. Thanks for the review. Love reading 'em!

Justin said...

I disagree with Rigdon about the message; I felt like it was neither singling out Americans nor was it saying that we are already fat and lazy--it was implying that the world could come to that if we don't take some responsibility for ourselves and our planet. But even then, I don't think it shoves that message down our throats...like I said, it's the backdrop more than anything.

Lindsay said...

J-I had no desire to see this movie. But after reading this review you've convinced me to give it a whirl.

l.g. mcfifi said...

I loved it Jay- we giggled sighed and awed the whole movie. I took my kids and my cousin brought hers. I thought the message was really profound.We took photos outside the theater with the wall-e. My 12 year old son thought is was sweet. I loved that a lot of it was based on emotion not talking

Justin said...

Yeah I really loved how so little of the story relied on dialogue, and how difficult it must have been for the film's creators to make a largely silent film engaging. The more I think about it the more I want to see it again.

Low Gain said...

My audience consisted mainly of children, and YES, they loved it. Not only did Wall-E steal their hearts, but the entire troop of dysfuntional robots each held their own ground of entertainment. Especially the little cleaner guy, Mole. (I think that was his name.... his?)
I loved the film. I think the lonliness and want for companionship were extremely touching. (Yes, I cried. Numerous times). The movie was, best put: precious. But I couldn't agree more that the messages behind the film were much deeper than the bucket seats half the kids in the audience were sitting in. I found it even uncomfortable, at times. Granted, there was a message of devotion and doing what's right, regardless of whatever we've been ordered to do, as well as taking care of our planet. But what was unnerving, was the message of what's becoming of us as humans. Convienantly, I'm sitting next to two rather "robust" adults, and just as they're drinking from their large gulp sodas, I look up and see our future selves in hover chairs doing the exact same thing. I almost want to shout a "thank you" out to pixar for voicing their concern with human laziness and over-consumption, but I feel too many narrowed eyebrows would be pointed in my direction. It was a very powerful message to me, one that I think was mostly unnoticed by children, but I'm sure there's a few adults out there who shifted umcomfortably in their seats with their mega popcorn bucket and extra nachocheese nacho's on their laps.
I hope more human beings can take after what the captain came to realize. that we CAN do something, and that we should. We need not rely on modern-day technologies to take care of us and our world, but that we are responsible for mother earth. That's the message I got, and I loved it.

lacy lee said...

Dave and I saw this last weekend and loved it! It seems so rare these days for movies to tell a complete story.

It was different from Pixar's usual but totally engaging, which is fantastic considering there is a vocabulary of four words in the first half of the movie.

Anonymous said...

In the world series of movie making this movie hit one out of the park. I have a long list of Pixar and other animated films that are high on my list, Wall-E quickly became one of my favorites. I don't often go to movies except for select few that peak interest. I usually attend a movie to learn something, be entertained, and maybe just maybe grow a little from the experience. Seeing a movie for cheap thrills is a waste of time and money. When I can be entertained and learn something its like flying through space with a fire extinguisher.
I love the fact that Pixar chose robots to show us how to be more human. The lack of dialogue only reiterated how action speaks louder than words, further driving home the underlying message.
Maybe more children should be exposed to this message rather than fewer of them due to there parents biased opinions. Our earth is in need of help and I praise Pixar for communicating this in such a touching way.
Besides the moral, this film was entertaining from the first and never stopped. I laughed, I cried, I loved this movie. If you are ready for something out of this world then get your ticket, avoid the junk food, sit down, and get ready to take off. Fully charged fire extinguisher in hand of course.