Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Special effects legend Stan Winston remembered

I was saddened to hear that Stan Winston, special effects wizard and multiple Oscar-winner, passed away on Sunday. Winston created some of film's most memorable and innovative effects, and was as skilled with unique make-up effects as he was in creating incredibly realistic animatronic creatures. Though you probably didn't know his name, you'll undoubtedly recognize some of his impressive body of work:
  • The giant alien mother that battles Sigourney Weaver in Aliens
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger's robotic alter-ego in the Terminator films
  • The creepy/ugly title monster in Predator
  • Johnny Depp's intricate claws in Edward Scissorhands
  • The groundbreaking dinosaurs in 1993's Jurassic Park
  • The Goblin Valley creatures from Galaxy Quest
  • Some of the fairy tale images from Big Fish
  • Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man suit
His effects have peppered some of my all time favorite movies, and who knows how many other cinematic visions we'll miss out on because of his passing. It's people like Stan Winston that can make movie-going a magical experience...he will be missed.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Nice thoughts Jay. I only hope I have someone to remember me like that when I am gone. Too bad I haven't made any special effcts.

Michelle said...

Nice tribute. Sounds like you were close friends. ;) He did cool stuff. I'm glad you pointed out who he was in relation to how I might know him.