Thursday, June 12, 2008

Worst sitcom ever?

I've had a hard time choosing much to blog about this week. I found a really exciting early draft of the screenplay that could (and should) have become Indy 4, but I figured that most of you have Indiana Jones fatigue. Then I thought about blogging about So You Think You Can Dance, but I was mildly bored by it last night, so I didn't have much to say.

Finally I stumbled upon this link, which ranks the 25 "worst" sitcoms of all time. I don't agree with the complete list, and don't even recognize some of the shows, but laughed when I saw their choice for #1: the cheesy late 80s girl-robot "comedy" called Small Wonder.

I can't explain exactly why we used to watch this as kids...even back then we knew that the acting was terrible, the sets were cheap (how many times did Vicki the robot punch through a paper-thin door or wall?), and the premise was ridiculous. Don't even get me started about the terribly obnoxious laugh-track. The show even had one of those corny introductions at the beginning where the actor would be doing something (like eating a sandwich) and then suddenly look at the camera and smile while their name shows up on the screen. The only "small wonder" here is why anyone watched it long enough for it to last four years.

What would be your choice for the worst sitcom of all time?

9 comments:

Amy said...

Small Wonder really was horrible, and yet we watched it all the time. I rememebr wishing someone would punch the red head right in the face.
I think the sitcom I like the least is the one with the Urkle Kid who had his pants pulled up to his ears and was always snorting and saying "Did I do that?" I couldn't change the channel fast enough.

Michelle said...

Oh my heck. I remember watching this at the babysitters...Why did we watch it so much? I could even sing along as I took a trip down memory lane watching the opener here. I love that it's "she's fantastic, made of plastic, microchips everywhere..." Seriously? Could it get any cheesier? In addition to the nosy girl, wasn't the mom neighbor that famous woman who played Ed Rooney's assistant on Ferris Beulers Day off? Am I remembering a different sit com?

Justin said...

Amy: "Family Matters" with Urkel was horrible, but you should have seen it BEFORE Urkel was on the show...even worse!

Michelle: Yes, the nosy neighbor's mother was played by the funny secretary from Ferris Bueller..."they think he's a righteous dude..."

I love that they added Mr. Belvedere to this list. Seriously? A butler that solves all the family's problems? Hilarious.

l.g. mcfifi said...

I actually liked some of those shows! Mama's family makes me laugh.My vote here- the Ropers- such a dissapointment to Threes Company.My mom wouldn't let me watch-little did she know I would sneak and watch it- even in the early 80s I was fine with the guy living with 2 girls! Funny post Jay...Small Wonder ugh

Justin said...

Well while we're confessing to sitcoms we used to watch in secret from our parents, I'd have to confess that I'd watch "Married with Children" with Jon sometimes. "The Simpsons" was also a closet favorite of mine, but I've since come clean about being a huge fan. The funny thing is even those shows are tame compared to some of the sitcoms on TV today...almost makes you long for the days of "Small Wonder" and "Punky Brewster."

ammonc said...

"My am Vicki the Robot" Didn't Miley used to say that? This really cracks me up because you totally used to imitate the boy, Jamie?, so good. It also reminds me of "Grandma Gussie". What were we thinking watching those lame shows?
Katie

The Flying V said...

This is a bit off track, but I remember the episode of Punky Brewster when she told Henry (even though she always pronounced is Hanry) "Henry, I'm getting boobs" as being the raciest and most suggestively exciting thing I'd ever heard.

Unknown said...

What a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the laughs, Jay.

jennie said...

Who is this flying V and why does he make me laugh so hard? Punky vs. Vicky, it's a toss up.

BTW: Peter and I openly mocked "Yes Dear". In fact we thought it was so bad that we watched it just to make fun of how bad it was. Then... we grew to like the show and laughed through every episode as we were getting ready for bed. We were sad when they replaced it with an even dumber show. (The one with the fiance from Twister.)