Friday, June 06, 2008

Keira Knightley in "My Fair Lady" remake?

It was just announced that the Oscar-winning classic, My Fair Lady, is in the process of getting a big-screen remake. You'll remember that this was a role made famous on stage by a pre-Mary Poppins Julie Andrews, who was then jilted by movie producers, who picked Audrey Hepburn for the 1964 film. (Andrews got her just rewards when she beat out Hepburn for the Best Actress Oscar that year for Poppins.) Hepburn, of course, was devastated when she ended up being dubbed for the songs throughout the movie. She's been known as Audrey Epburn ever since. (I made that last part up.)

Apparently Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean, Pride & Prejudice) is being courted to take on the role of Eliza Doolittle in the remake. Now we know she can fence, and we know she can play soccer, but can she sing? Or will she follow Hepburn's example and end up being dubbed?

Some of you can't stand Knightley, who tends to purse her lips more than is generally accepted to be healthy. I personally think she's a great actress, and think she's a very interesting choice for the role. I can't wait to see how this develops. What do you think?

11 comments:

lacy lee said...

I, for one, think this is a FABULOUS idea! Even if she does purse her lips a little too often. I've loved her in anything I've seen her in (even when I hated the actual movie aka Pirates II). So, yay!

Michelle said...

Should probably see the first one. I may have seen it in my youth, but can't recall and if I did, it was a least 15 years ago. I'll get back to you.

Emily said...

I didn't know they were re-making this movie. I'm quite excited to hear it! I like Knightly, and think she's a good fit for Elizah Doolittle.

Unknown said...

Justin - I love your blog! Mrs. Stewart would be so proud. (If that is not our 10th grade english teacher's name just go ahead and fill in the right name for me there. I mean that was what, like fourteen years ago.) And thanks for the Edwardian updates, this is one adoring fan who appreciates them.

I love the idea, I think KK would make a great Eliza. Pride and Prejudice and My Fair Lady are both in my top twenty. Combine those forces and watch out!

shoeaddict said...

I'm a huge, HUGE Eliza fan. I really do not like KK, though so I'm screaming "NOOOOO" at this choice. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Wendy Marie said...

No one could ever be as good as Audrey Hepburn. Why do a remake of a movie that's already perfect? Plus, Keira Knightley's lips bug the crap out of me!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

That's a good question. Why DO they remake practically pefect movies?

Justin said...

I realize Andrea's question is rhetorical, but I'll answer it anyway: remakes are usually made because of nostalgia. They have a built-in audience they are hoping to tap into.

Furthermore, it's easier for studios to pay for an old idea that worked once than to actually take a risk on a brand new idea...that's why we get so many sequels, TV-adaptations, comic book movies, and remakes.

Amy said...

Love her!!!!

The Flying V said...

While there's no doubt that KK is exceptionally hot.....well, I guess that was my only point really

jennie said...

I think it's a great choice... even though I can't stand the lip purse.