Thursday, June 26, 2008

Knick-knacks

Here are a few things I'm thinking about while being a girl's camp-induced single father:
  • CBS announced today that my favorite reality show, The Amazing Race, will return for its 13th edition on September 28. Though loved by the Emmys (it's the only show to win in the Outstanding Reality Competition category since it was introduced in 2003), it has never been as popular as other reality staples like Survivor or American Idol. Sunday is my least-favorite day on which it has aired (harder to turn into a social event), but at least it's coming back.
  • The reviews for Pixar's latest, Wall-E, have been nothing short of stellar. I already couldn't wait to see it, but some of these snippets have gotten me even more excited:
    • "Dangerously close to the sublime..."
    • "2008's first perfect film and one of the best Pixar projects of all time."
    • "A jewel of a film in conception, execution and message."
    • "Some day, there will be college courses devoted to this movie."
  • Wendy and I rented a few movies recently, none of which I have made time to formally review:
    • Fool's Gold is trashy and not nearly fun enough to justify its sleaziness.
    • Jumper is mildly exciting, with an interesting concept that could lead to a good sequel, but gets bogged down by wooden acting and too-little back story.
    • Cloverfield is the dizziest, dumbest disappointment I've seen in a looong time.
    • Lars and the Real Girl is probably the most unexpected delight we've stumbled upon in recent years; it's warm, quirky, and ultimately redeeming. (Don't worry about its kinky premise, it's not really what you think.)
  • Finally, I saw Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in theaters over the past couple of weeks. Iron Man, as you have probably heard, is energetic, witty, and a lot of fun. (Robert Downey, Jr. is perfect as Tony Stark.) Hulk, on the other hand, is perhaps even more disappointing than the 2003 art house version. It's louder, yes, but mayhem and explosions do not always a good movie make. It's really a joyless affair; sort of like a less heartfelt version of King Kong. That's twice that Universal/Marvel have gotten money from me to see the big green fellow destroy things and twice I've felt cheated. If this movie makes its money back and the studio makes another (which at this point is unlikely), it's going to take some supernatural powers to get me to give it a third try.

6 comments:

Dana said...

I loved Lars and the Real Girl and Iron Man was definitely worth all that goes into getting us to the theater.

Michelle said...

I promise not to leave a comment killer, like on your last post. (Sorry) All I'll say is "Ditto" on Amazing Race and "Wow, I'm impressed" about you being a single dad for the week while Wendy is away at Girls' Camp.

Justin said...

Michelle: You didn't kill the comments on my last post...the post itself killed them. No one wants to think about having a teenage daughter.

And in the interest of full disclosure, Wendy only went to 3 days/2 nights of camp. So let's use the term "week" loosely, eh?

MEG said...

I forgot to tell you I saw Lars and the Real girl on your recommendation and my husband and I loved it. Thanks for that - have you seen The Butterfly and the Diving Bell? If not, you should because the oddity of it is similar. It is a foreign film and we only found it on x-box to rent. :)

l.g. mcfifi said...

Can't wait for the race

Amy said...

Loved Lars and the Real Girl. Haven't watched the Amazing Race for last few seasons, but seeing as there is NOTHING on perhaps I will give it a go again.