Wednesday, April 09, 2008

This and that...

  • American Idol last night was good, but again, no one blew me away. It was a rare off night for David Cook, and Brooke White didn't really impress either (I think we're starting to see the limits of her talent). Little Davey had a good (but not great) performance...he seems to be a little more nervous when at the piano. Michael Johns gave a mediocre performance (I agree with Simon that he seems to be too comfortable imitating other performers), as did Syesha, Kristy Lee, and Carly. I still don't get Jason Castro, and can hardly stand to watch him sing, but I know I'm in the minority. My guess is that the bottom three will be Syesha, Carly, and Michael Johns.
  • I just had to LOL when it was pointed out to me that the horrendous Legend of Zelda trailer I posted here last week was just an elaborate April Fool's joke. Now that I know it's a fake, I've got to say that someone really did a great job making the trailer. At least I never fell for the equally convincing Snoop Dogg/Mormon prank...
  • Disney and Pixar announced yesterday their slate of upcoming animated films for the next four years. As I reported here earlier, many of these will be released in 3-D, including a previously only-rumored sequel to Pixar's Cars. I really liked Cars, although it was probably my least-favorite of the Pixar classics. That they are doing a sequel surprises me a little, as I didn't believe that the movie was as profitable as some of the studio's previous efforts. Still, they must have made a killing off the tie-in toys and products alone, and a Cars 2 makes a lot more sense than a Finding Nemo sequel.
  • Finally, I saw Leatherheads on Monday night. It was a passable little football comedy, although not nearly so funny as I would have expected. George Clooney was charming, as always, and John Krasinski (Jim from The Office) held his own. Renee Zellwegger fit the roll nicely, although I have an increasingly hard time watching her scrunched up face. In the end, it was a breezy enough diversion, but probably not worth a full admission price (**1/2 out of four). Can't wait for the big summer movies to start up in a few short weeks; I'll try to do a little summer preview here in a few days.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

American Idol = disappointed.
Disney Announcements = excited. I hope some are musicals for crying out loud. And I agree, I think a CARS sequel is just silliness.

jennie said...

Never been a fan of Renee either. IN FACT... I have purposely not seen most of the movies she's in.

Katie said...

There is something funny about her face. But, I think Disney will do fine with Cars. Kids love it, so parents will spend the money to see it.

Amy said...

Hi Justin-
I got the link to your blog thorugh Sunny's blog (which Scott gave me). Hope all is well with you and Wendy and that cute baby. Here is the link to our blog taylotfun.blogspot.com