Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"The Legend of Zelda" on the big screen?

Now as much as I love the Legend of Zelda video games (one of the very few video games series that has actually captivated my attention as a child and an adult), I'm not sure a movie adaptation is a good idea. For one, has there ever been a good video game-to-movie adaptation? The Resident Evil series is the closest I can think of, and even fans wouldn't say that they are very good movies.

But if you are going to do a movie for one of the all-time great games, don't you think you should have assembled a semi-recognizable cast and a bigger budget than your average toothpaste commercial? Because to me, this trailer makes this movie look like a bad, bad idea.

The movie, by the way, is set for release in April 1, 2009. (I'm certain that somewhere, Stephen Groo has circled this date on his calendar....)

What do you think? Does the trailer ignite a firestorm of nostalgia, or make you want to take a nap?

6 comments:

The Flying V said...

As one of the worlds biggest game nerds....I have no interest in this. I can't see this doing very well if even people like me are nonplussed by the announcement. Plus I heard Link does a full frontal nude scene....I think he's just doing anything he can to pay bill right now.

Michelle said...

How do you know Stephen Groo??? We have a lot to talk about.

Low Gain said...

my anger has left me speechless. For many, many years I have thought of turning one of my most favorite video games into a movie, but after seeing the trailer, my mouth is filled with the acidic taste of bile. How could they? Why would they? Is there no loyalty and true respect for such a great game that you would even CONSIDER making such a low-budget pile of film turd? I curse the movie industry that supported this and pray that somehow this film flops and is forgotten as quickly as possible.

rigdon said...

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but the trailer was released on April 1st and the date for release is April 1st.

That and IGN wrote another story about how it really was just an april fools joke. http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/863/863492p1.html

Justin said...

LOL! I have to admit they had me fooled, even though I was horrified by what I saw. Now that I know it's a prank, I'm quite impressed.

At least I never fell for the Snoop Dogg prank!

Low Gain said...

oh, thank the seven sages this isn't real. My prayers have been answered. On a minor note, good job IGN for making a horrid, low-budget, yet plausible trailer!