Monday, April 28, 2008

Guillermo Del Toro confirmed as director for "The Hobbit"

Most of you won't recognize this guy's name, since the only mainstream movies he has made have been the Hellboy movies (the second of which arrives this summer). Having said that, his real claim to fame as of late was the Spanish-language classic, Pan's Labyrinth, from a year or two ago. Back in the glory days of CleanFlicks, I rented this fantasy/war hybrid, and really loved it. It had a look and feel that was completely unique and convincing, and was equal parts terrifying fairy tale and gritty war drama. It's one of those movies that I've had a hard time forgetting.

Now Guillermo Del Toro has been confirmed as the director for the new Hobbit movies, with Peter Jackson & Co. serving as producers (and likely screenwriters as well). I was nervous when I heard that Peter Jackson wouldn't be directing, but I think that Del Toro is a great choice, as long as he doesn't allow his dark and creepy tendencies to overwhelm the story. After reading this article, I'm a little more confident that he'll try to stay true to the vision that Peter Jackson started out with.

No release dates have formally been announced, but I'm guessing we won't see hobbits on the big screen again until at least 2011. Does anyone else think that the director of Pan's Labyrinth is a great choice to helm these new LOTR movies?

2 comments:

The Flying V said...

I love Pan's Labyrinth. It's been on my tivo for over a year now, and I watch it time and again.

Peter Jackson did such an indescribably awesome job with the LotR trilogy that my only hope here is that the Hobbit movies blend seamlessly. Ie: Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the same Golem, Dwarves that look and act like Gimli etc.

My favorite part of the The Hobbit is the stay at Bjorns house. He's the big dude that can shapeshift into a bear. I really hope they don't leave this out of the movie, although it could totally be cut out and wouldn't affect the story line sadly.

Justin said...

I need to re-read The Hobbit, since I don't remember the scene you're talking about.

Can't wait though!