Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My humble opinion

We just watched American Idol, and as I expected, Carly and Little David came off as two of the strongest tonight. Carly picked a song that, though unfamiliar to me, suited her big voice, and gave her the chance to show that she really is having a good time. As for Little David, his Think of Me was a complete surprise; just as everyone was beginning to write him off as not being hip or versatile, he comes up with a pleasant little twist on a very feminine song. Yes, he overdid some of the runs at the end, and appeared to have forgotten a lyric or two, but I think it was one of his best songs so far in the competition. He's known for making strange song choices, but tonight I think the strangeness actually paid off. Both Carly and Davie got votes from me.

As for the rest, The Artist Formerly Known as Comb-over David did well, as expected, although I still think he struggles when he's not pushing his voice into rock-realms. Syesha surprised with a lively little number, which was actually worth a vote from me. And David Castro once again proved that he could sound completely misplaced and dreadful, and Paula will still offer to carry his baby after the show ends.

Finally, Brooke. What can we really say? Her song choice actually seemed to fit her quite well, and were it not for her lyrical flub early on (which clearly flustered her, and made all of America cover their eyes and ears), I think she might have done quite well. As it stands, I believe it will be Brooke, Jason, and Syesha in the bottom three, and I'm guessing this will be the last time we'll see Brooke play nanny to the judges. I think I'm ok with that.

Who did you vote for?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Did you mean to say "David Castro"? Did you forget your own lyrics? I voted for Brooke so many time my fingers hurt. I thought she would have been phenomenal if it weren't for the beginning...sad. Though I agree she will be in the bottom 3 and may even go home. If that Sayesha hadn't done so well-blast! I think we might even loose Jason Castro, who I think may have chosen that song on purpose. Is he ready to go home? Has he had enough of all this?? Anyway, I also voted for Carly, who I thought was fantastic. See, I told you she had the powerhouse voice, and let it be written that when you asked me in the top twelve, I put the two davids and carly...Gosh, I love American Idol.

Amy said...

David Cook is still the man....I will vote for him until the end. I also threw a few votes to Brooke, she put her heart in it and I thought Paula's comments were crap (but who listens to her anyway right). All in all I thought it was a good night.

PJC said...

I hate to agree with you about Brooke but you may be right. I still like her, she's different, the good kind of different, not like the kind of different you use to soften reality; like when people ask me, "What's up with your brother-in-law, and I have to answer, "Um, don't mind him, he's just different."

As for the David Cook mumbo jumbo, he's not good people. The only reason the judges like him is because they think they can sell him, like the cheap ubiquitous pop-rock sell out that he already thinks he is. He could belch the abc’s into the mic and the judges would rave about it, yet Simon nearly always has something negative to say about Davie Archuleta, who is clearly a better singer, but not as sellable. Simon is no dummy, he does this at about this point in every season, he picks who he thinks he can sell and pumps them up and over criticizes the better, yet less sellable, singers.

Don't fall for it! Viva la goodsingeration!

shoeaddict said...

I voted Carly.