Tuesday, May 29, 2007

On the...chopping block?

For both of us that have been watching the new reality show, On the Lot, we may need to try and recruit a few more of our friends to watch--the show is doing horribly in the ratings, and though it's summertime and there's not much else to watch, I fear Fox may do something drastic if ratings don't improve...

To initiate the newcomers, the show is basically American Idol for filmmakers. Yesterday's episode gave us a chance to watch, for the first time, 1-minute short films from each of the 18 finalists. Some of the films were interesting, some were dreadful (so much potty humor!), but only one or two was completely successful (I'd say the lucky penny one and the safety factory were the only outright "winners").

Being the first time the judges have had to address each finalist individually, I'd say they were...awkward. Carrie Fisher--who in other situations has been very blunt--seemed to have a hard time saying what she was really thinking; call it the Paula Abdul syndrome (her teeth looked a lot better though...). The guest judge just mimicked everything Carrie Fisher said. Only Garry Marshall seemed to be able to say anything constructive. I also don't love the hostess--she uses her hands in annoying ways, and just doesn't seem very genuine (where's Cat Deeley when you need her?). Let's hope things get better as the show moves on.

Having said those things, the show does have the potential to be very interesting. Let's hope people catch on. Spread the word!

5 comments:

shoeaddict said...

You know, the host, Chelsea Handler, was a huge surprise to me. She is an extremly untalented, vulgar "comedienne". I'm interested in this show because I'm a movie junkie and a former actress. YOU also are a movie lover so, that's why we love it. Lots of people just watch movies and don't think about them. I notice the acting, the cinematography, the music, how I would have developed the story/characters better, etc... It can be exhausting!!

shoeaddict said...

Sorry, C. Handler is not the host anymore. I have to admit I didn't watch the last one. I was sick. i just watched this one and I loved the Penny one. The Getta Room one was NOT funny and I do not think the guy was nerdy but was made to be mentally challenged. What do you think??

lacy lee said...

I gave this a chance last night...and sorry Jay, I don't think I can do it again! The hostess was soooo awkward and I wasn't really impressed with the movies. Plus it seemed to drag on and on. If it miraculously comes back next season I'll watch it. Hopefully by then it will be a smooth viewing!

Justin said...

Lacy: I agree that last night's episode was a drag--drawn out for a whole hour for only 5 minutes worth of actual new content. The whole thing was barely tolerable, even with DVR.

I just keep remembering that it took "So you think you can dance" a season before it really found its comfort zone (and a decent hostess). So if this show somehow makes it to next year's schedule, I look forward to some of those changes.

I think I'll give it one more week, but if they don't work through some of their growing pains, I'm gonzo!

Layne & Kellie said...

I watched the first episode right after AI. It caught my attention, though I was out of town the next time it aired. BLAST! I've been trying to recruit but with no success.

I was quite surprised to see Carrie F. as a judge. Call me lame, but I didn't follow her after the Star Wars ... didn't realize was she did after the trilogies.