Thursday, May 24, 2007

I'm "Lost" and loving it

OK, just to be clear: I am about to talk about last night's killer Lost finale. So if you haven't watched it yet (Brett), kindly go watch it and then come back.

Now onto the show: I can't tell you how pleased I am with last night's season finale. It was scary, funny, sad, touching, and completely mind-boggling. I LOVED it. So, in no particular order, here are a few of my comments about the big game-changing episode:
  • I loved Hurley's big moment of triumph. So nice to see the big guy catching a break. And wasn't it great that the silly VW actually served a purpose...
  • There were a few moments during the finale (Mr. Friendly's demise at the hands of Sawyer, Jack kicking the crap out of Ben) when I am actually sort of scared to admit that I felt a little bit of bloodlust...but MAN did it feel good to see some of those jerks brought to their knees!
  • Charlie: even though they've been telling us he was a goner for months now, part of me still believed that he'd somehow get around it. I was equal parts shocked and touched when he heroically gave his life to "save" the rest of the group. (Let's just hope they really do get saved!) And how sweet was it to see the former altar-boy doing the cross-thingie as he died--felt like a nice bookend to his life's story. Wow!
  • Jack and his women: though I didn't really feel like the love business had much of a place in this finale, it's about time Jack said how he felt for Kate. I just wish it hadn't come 2 minutes after he kissed Juliet...what a mimbo!
  • Sawyer: Although his brooding is annoying, it felt realistic at least, considering how he just killed a man with his bare hands just a few episodes back. I'm glad to see that it is affecting his poor tortured psyche.
  • Mikhail (eye-patch guy): Will this guy ever die? Can't say I would hate seeing him lose his remaining eye (I know, there's that bloodlust again...).
  • Penny: Who is (or was) Naomi, anyway? Whose boat is it if it isn't Penny's? Who are the people that Jack called?
  • Locke: I'm glad he's not dead, but was it really necessary to kill off Naomi? And WALT?!?! Where did he come from?
  • Future Jack: was everyone else as blown away as I was that Jack's flashbacks were actually flashforwards?!?! How did they get off the island? Who got off the island? Who was in the casket? Who is Kate with now? Why do they need to get back to the island? And does this mean that flashbacks are gonzo, and now we'll have flashforwards?!!? Either way, I loved it. LOVED it.
So now we wait until February 2008. What a great way to end the season, though. What did you think? Were you as satisfied with the finale as I was?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with everything you pointed out J-Dawg. We loved it too! It was awesome. I was totally surprised at the "flashforward." I was also mad at myself for not realizing it until the end. They did try to confuse us though, because they mentioned Jack's father a couple of times in the flashforward. What is this trying to say about Jack's father? Is he really dead?

As for the people with Naomi--could they be with the Dharma initiative trying to get revenge on the hostiles? But why did Naomi have a picture of Penny and Desmond?

I was so sad for Charlie, and yet so proud too. It really was his destiny to be there to push the buttons because obviously he knows about music. Destiny is great, but don't we get to make choices too? If I were Charlie I wouldn't have started pushing any buttons until I had my scuba gear on. Also, once he saw "Patchy" with the grenade he could have run out of the room and shut the door. Why did you have to die Charlie!

As for the whole show--things have totally changed. All along we have wanted them to get off the island...but now, do we really want them to get off island?

Unknown said...

Sorry my comment was so long. I just can't help myself.

Justin said...

Yeah, I'm guessing Jack was just drunk or drugged when he was talking about his dad.

By the way, how sad was Future Jack anyway? Let's hope Desmond can pop into the future and fix everything!

Anonymous said...

Regarding Charlie, at first, during his final moments before his passing, I thought that he was playing the air guitar. I was pleased that I was wrong.

As for bloodlust - Kate (my Kate) was a little disappointed in my wholehearted acquiescence to Sawyer's slaying the big jerk - but the guy was a big jerk.

And Ben getting whooped was awesome.

I don't like Locke and I am ready for him to be eaten by the black smoke.

I think Kate (my Kate) almost started crying when Hurley came out of nowhere to save the day since his friends had been so cold-hearted. I have to admit, I was touched too.

Stinsonian said...

Well summed-up Justin. My two cents...I'm so glad someone finally killed some of the Others! They always threaten but never follow-through. Mr. Friendy had to go & Sawyer had to do it. No bloodlust, just revenge.

Boy is Claire going to be proud of Charlie.

Finally, I doubt future-Kate was married to James/Sawyer... maybe it was someone unexpected like Hugo or Sayid. Regardless, no I don't want them off the island anymore. Too depressing.

Justin said...

Isn't Hurley great? One of these days he's going to go postal on Sawyer, though.

Maybe Kate is shacking up with her old husband, you know the one she loved who almost made her pregnant in a flashback...

Unknown said...

By the way, I did watch the episode before reading. Thanks for the warning, though.

Justin, in what ways does the island remind you of Guatemala?

Unknown said...

By the way, I did watch the episode before reading. Thanks for the warning, though.

Justin, in what ways does the island remind you of Guatemala?

Anonymous said...

Maybe Walt was a manifestation of Jacob. Ditto with Jack's father, Kate's horse, and other unexpected apparitions earlier on the island.

I started to wonder if Jack's flashbacks were flashforwards as soon as I saw the cellphone he was using. It was one of those slim, modern ones that you didn't start to see until like last year but the plane crash happened in 2004 (remember Jack seeing Boston win the World Series on TV?).

In Jack's flashforward it seemed almost like Kate's face was touched up with CG because it was free of wrinkles and freckles. Maybe she had plastic surgery after they left the island. Or maybe she had a lot of makeup on.

How did Juliet plan to rescue the three hostages without any weapons?

Why didn't John Lock simply explain to Jack his reasons for not wanting him to make the phone call instead of holding him at gunpoint and then backing down? And why didn't he explain why it was necessary to kill Parachute Girl? That part didn't make sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Great episode. As for Jack and Kate and Jack and Juliette, the whole thing reminded me of Wendy in High School. So many opportunities, so little town (did I say town (Panguitch), I meant time).

Anyways, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I will miss Charlie (although everytime I hear someone with an accent say his name I think of the father from So I Married and Ax Murderer), but I was perplexed at his lack of effort to save his own life. Was he consigned to his fate as a martyr for the cause? Why couldn't he swim through the whole caused by patch boy's grenade and hold his breath to safety above?

A few theories: (1) Kate marries Sawyer and the guy in the coffin is actually Ben after being extracted contrary to his will from the island. Things are wierd enough in flash-forward world to believe this. (2) Claire and baby get off the island on a helicopter (as Desmond saw) but they are the only ones because Jack finally believes Locke and stops any further escape from happening early next season (which makes comment 1 irrelevant but fun to ponder nonetheless). (3) now that Pete is out of law school at BYU he should grow a scraggly beard and cut his hair short like flash-forward Jack (sorry Pete . . . I would do it but you are the only one I know with the guts to pull it off).

Finally, why can't they just shoot more episodes so we don't have to wait until February?

Justin said...

Jon: I like the idea that Jacob is a shape-shifter. Maybe he's the black cloud too!

Brett: Other than the banana leaves, Lost doesn't remind me at all of Guatemala. Am I missing something?

Mark: Wendy in high school was less of a love-quadrangle and more of a love pyramid, with Wendy perched gracefully on the top.

Unknown said...

I totally know what your saying about that accent and "Cha-lie's" name, Mark(whoever you are.) All I can think of is: "Heed! Pants! Now!" and "Oh, go cry on yer huge pillow." I love that movie.

jennie said...

I was frustrated with the episode because of a few things. First of all, I want Jack and Kate together, dang it!
Second of all, I want Claire and Charlie together, dang it!