Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Melinda vs. Blake


OK, I haven't been following American Idol religiously over the season, although my DVR has made it easier to catch most of the performances from this season's most interesting contenders, who just so happen to be, in my opinion, on their way to next week's finale. Yes, I'm talking about Melinda and Blake.

For the record, I realize the pros and cons of choosing either performer: Melinda is clearly the more skilled singer, but a little tougher to market to a very fickle young marketplace. Blake, on the other hand, is hip and contemporary and "takes risks" (as Simon says), but so often his risks fall flat on their beat-boxing bottoms (like last week's HORRIBLE Bee-Gee covers).

I'll make no bones about it: my vote is for Melinda. She's the only one I've voted for regularly throughout the season, and she's the only one I would even consider buying an album from. That said, Blake is no slacker ("He's an artist!" my sister Jennie gushes), and I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised if he won either. We'll just see next week who really brings their best to the finale.

Can we all just agree that Jordin shouldn't/won't make it to the finale?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I love Blake. Melinda is a good singer, but Blake is much more charming and marketable. I think Melinda will take the whole thing, but I comfort myself with the fact that SOMEONE will give Blake an album. ADDITIONALLY, I think Jordin is overrated. Her vabratto is too tight and makes me crazy. She's a good singer, but I don't think she deserves all the props she's getting. She was NOT good last night.

PJC said...

I agree with M. I think that if Jordin were 23, she would have been gone long ago. Jay, you're right, Melinda is a better singer. I think she'll win. I would buy Blake's album in a heartbeat though. All thought BeeGee night was terrible for everyone. oh, and I heart Blake. Jenn

Devry said...

I don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a Melinda/Jordin finale. I think Blake might fall a little too flat to get the votes. Quinn is adamant like Jennie is, that Blake has the whole package, a great entertainer. But I for one don’t like to watch him sing. He always tilts his head and I feel like I can look straight up his nose. I feel the same way about no-neck Melinda. I just have a hard time watching her. Personally, I think if Jordin actually wins (probably a long shot) she would end up being more successful than either Melinda or Blake if they win. She is much more marketable and the girl can sing and with a studio recorded album and a young vibe I think she would be able to do something.

Justin said...

Jordin is, bless her heart, destined to sing over the credits of the next direct-to-DVD Disney sequel. I doubt there will be much more demand for her than that...

PJC said...

Jay! That's the perfect place for her! Maybe Melinda can star in Sister Act III. Jenn

Devry said...

I know what you are saying about being Disney bound. But with the right studio behind her, I think they could actually make something out of her, just because she is young and cute.

Justin said...

OK I get it, there are a few Jordin fans out there. I mean her no disrespect, I just think that tonight is probably the last time you'll ever hear her name, that's all...

Unknown said...

This is how Brett and I determine who is going to win: If the contestant holds up their fingers indicating what number their phone line is--they will surely lose. Jordin is quite cheesy when she displays her number. Blake is too cool to do anything like that. Remember how cool he was on Bon Jovi night! That's what I'm talking about.