Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trailer for new "Terminator"

I know, I know...I was thinking the same thing. Another Terminator??? Let's consider what we know about this "franchise reboot" (a very popular term these days): the Governator is nowhere to be found, the studio is aiming for a more family-friendly PG-13 rating, and have conceived this as--what else?--a trilogy. This on top of a bleak franchise that should have died after the disappointing Terminator 3, and is already currently represented on TV with Fox's The Sarah Connor Chronicles. But here's one thing that makes me the tiniest bit interested in next summer's Terminator Salvation: actor Christian Bale.

The very selective Bale apparently saw something of interest in the film, as he doesn't seem to be the type that just cashes in on any role he can find. Besides, with the Batman franchise, he doesn't seem to be hurting for money. He is currently one of my favorite actors. Though there are a lot of his artsier movies I haven't seen, there are several he's been in lately that rank among some of my favorites (Batman Begins, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma). Right now, he is the only reason I am interested in this movie.

Watch the teaser trailer here, and let me know what you think of Bale in a new Terminator movie.

8 comments:

jennie said...

I've loved Bale since "Newsies", but I won't be seeing his new Batman movie thanks to the super creepy Joker and his super creepy death. Oh Heath... you were too pretty to a) be the Joker b)star in BROKEBACK and then c) DIE!

Michelle said...

Michelle was here.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I can sit through a Terminator movie...even for Christian Bale..and that's saying something.

ammonc said...

I like the Terminator and have wished for some time that I was made of liquid metal, sorry Wolverine. The teaser doesn't reveal much. T3 was disappointing. I think it will be fun to have an ending - providing there is an ending, unlike the eternal disaster Matrix.

Erica Eley said...

I've never seen any of the Terminators, but I am a big Christian Bale fan, ever sine I saw Little Women, then Batman Begins, then The Prestige, and finally Rescue Dawn. The dilemma- I don't have a desire to see the previous Terminators, (aren't they R-rated)? so if I decide to sit in the theater for this one, will I be completely lost?

Justin said...

Erica: I'm guessing this will be a franchise that references the original movies, but yet stands apart from them as well. With all the money they're throwing into this thing, you can bet they'll want to make it as accessible as they can to both fans old and new.

Low Gain said...

I'm gonna see it. Loved the first two. Have no desire to see T3. But yes, Christian Bale is off the hook. Too bad the super choppy, over-staticky trailer left me with more thoughts about checking into an eye doctor than what the story will be about. Seriously, I thought I'd have a seizure if it went on any longer.

Katie said...

I agree with Jennie. He won my heart in Newsies and then again in the Prestige. He's a great actor, and pretty cute too.