Sunday, July 20, 2008

"The Dark Knight" review

I'm having a hard time putting into words exactly how I feel about The Dark Knight. So for a change, I'm going to try and describe it in Q&A format. I'll do my very best to avoid spoiling any plot points:

Question: Have you seen The Dark Knight yet?
Answer: Yes, Wendy and I saw it on the IMAX in Sandy last Saturday.

Q: How was the IMAX? Worth the extra money?
A: The IMAX experience was great...almost all the action scenes were filmed with the special IMAX cameras, making them more immersive and intense. When Batman jumps off the top of a skyscraper, you almost feel like you're flying with him. Definitely worth an extra buck or two.

Q: What about the movie? Was it better than Batman Begins?
A: Uncategorically, YES. Everything was a notch or two above the last big-screen Batman, including the acting, suspense, story, and action scenes. And just wait until you see the introduction of the Batpod...very fun stuff.

Q: I'm hearing that it's very dark. Is it too dark?
A: It's a dark movie, for sure, but I wouldn't say that it is unbearably dark. It's not a movie for young kids (despite the deplorable marketing), but I think most adults will find it to be thrilling, moving, and even a little thought-provoking. It's not a movie for everyone--while largely bloodless, there is quite a lot of violence--but I would say that it ends in a place that helps make up for some of the preceding darkness.

Q: What about Heath Ledger? Will the actor's death take me out of the movie?
A: All the Oscar talk is completely warranted; Ledger's Joker is one of the most memorable performances of the past several years. The only thing I can compare the uniqueness of his performance to is Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow when we first saw him back in 2003. The Joker here is so individual, so convincing, and so unnerving that you will be thinking about him long after you have left the theater. There is probably no greater compliment we could pay Ledger than to say that his last complete performance successfully terrified every person in that theater; it reconfirms that he was a great talent that will be missed.

Q: Who else stands out from The Dark Knight?
A: The acting all around is superb, with special mention to BYU-grad Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, whose performance was almost perfect for a very challenging storyline. Christian Bale is always terrific, and his team of supporters (played by Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhal, and Morgan Freeman) are all fantastic.

Q: Why are people calling it the "best comic book movie ever"?
A: Calling this a "comic book movie" is probably doing the film an injustice. The Dark Knight is as layered, rich, and challenging (on every level) as any of the great films in any genre. When was the last time you saw a popcorn movie tackle such a diverse and complex group of issues, from the threat of anarchy to the ethics of illegal wire-tapping? (In one of the most chilling sequences, the film forces us to think about the darkness of human nature in ways that Spider-man 3 only dreamed of.) While your stomach will be in knots for most of the movie, your brain will be working for the rest of the night. Director Christopher Nolan has created a stunning and hypnotic film that deserves attention when the awards season ramps up again.

Q: How many stars would you give this movie?
A: The Dark Knight gets four stars out of four from me (the first time this year I have given four stars). It's a nearly perfect piece of art, and one that both Wendy and I are eager to go see again. Judging from the applause at the screening I attended (and the box office records the movie is breaking), I'm pretty sure we weren't alone.

Let me know what you thought of The Dark Knight!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Best movie I have seen all year. I too can't wait to see it again.(and this time take Mat with me) Heath Ledger's preformance is amazing. I was throughly creeped out through the entire thing. Although I did laugh quite hysterically while he was dressed like a nurse. And lets just talk about the special effects. As to not spoil it for those who have not seen all I will say is the Bat Mobile kicks some serious butt!!! I was surprised at the number of small children in the theater. At their age I would have been in for weeks of nightmares. As always you give a great review.

Michelle said...

Wow. Quite the recommendation. I didn't want to see it until I read your review. That said, your review of Loco Lizard didn't quite live up to the hype given by J-Dawg so maybe this will disappoint too. ;)

ammonc said...

Let me just start off by saying what an honor it is to be able to make a comment on Jay's blog. Generally, no one really cares about movie reviews three weeks after they come out on DVD.

This movie was done very well. Every time I thought I knew where the plot was headed, I was thankfully surprised that the director thought of a much better direction. It definitely veered away from cliche plot lines.

Joker was marvelous. The introductory scene for the Joker was brilliant and ranks up there with the opening scene for X-Men II.

I felt it was a little dark for my taste - I guess I prefer violence when the sun is out like the Bourne movies.

jennie said...

hmmm... you are slowly convincing me to see it. It's just, that I prefer to see Heath Ledger in roles like his "Knights Tale" performance where he is so cute and sweet! I don't know that I WANT to see him in such a creepy role... especially considering his untimely death. I'll think about it.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Mark and I went to this movie on Saturday. I, too, was suprised at the little (as in perhaps not even in kindergarten) kids that were there. It's really too much for them, and would probably bore them too.

But, it's awesome! I read one review that said there were a whole lot less special effects than a lot of other movies out right now. I'd believe it: it's mostly just PEOPLE doing things people could/would do. For the most part.

It was long too--but it kept your attention. There was a time or two when I thought it was over--but it wasn't. It's good stuff.

Comment to Jennie: You don't even think about Heath Ledger as "Heath Ledger," not really. You get caught up in the Joker and wish you could just make him stop being so messed up.

Low Gain said...

I'm so glad you liked it Jaytay! It is to me one of the most unnerving, thought-provoking films, while at the same time being one of the greatest action movies I've seen a many a year. I agree with what Jennie says about Heath Ledger. You don't even think of him as Heath, but just a pyscho bent on total anarchy and chaos. (The nurse scene leaving the hospital I still play over in my mind).
I'm going to go see it again the 23rd. This time, in the Imax theatre. I was so immensely impressed, I started planning the second trip to see it as I was leaving the theatre.
If only all comic inspired movies could follow after this.
PS. I'm SOOOO excited for Watchmen! It was the first graphic novel I've read, and a huge influence on my desire to draw.

l.g. mcfifi said...

four stars? Jay-I am going

Erica Eley said...

I have yet to see The Dark Knight! I'm even more hyped up about going to see it now, since I'm feeding off of everyone else's excitement over it. We're waiting for an opportune time to see it in an IMAX theater... it's probably the best way to view it for the first time.
Justin, thanks for not spoiling anything. You're good about respecting the anticipation of the awaiting viewers! I enjoyed your comments, but I'm also surprised that Wendy was so enthralled, given it's dark nature. I always remind Matt, "if Justin (and Wendy) really enjoys (a particular) movie, I know I will, too! You have great taste!

lacy lee said...

I have to say that I love love loved this film. My one regret was that Christian Bale didn't get quite as much face time (apart from the mask) as last time. I thought that the first film was more of a character sketch of Bruce Wayne and this one was more a character sketch of the Joker. Which, was amazing, too. Heath Ledger's performance was incredible.

I am going to see it again this weekend b/c the theater I went to last time had the volume for the music turned up way too loud.

Justin said...

Lacy: Yeah, even though the main story revolves around Batman, he's not the most developed (or interesting) character in the movie. I hope with #3 we get more of that...can't wait to see which villain is next.

Unknown said...

This is one of your best reviews ever! Oh, and I didn't know that Aaron Eckhart was a BYU grad.