Monday, June 25, 2007

The curse of the family-friendly sequel?

What do The Legend of Zorro, Evan Almighty, and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer have in common? Interestingly, they are three sequels in dying (or at least ailing) movie franchises that have been released with a tamer MPAA rating than their predecessor(s) in an attempt to attract a wider movie audience. What else do these movies have in common? Each of them has made less than their predecessor--some of them (Zorro and Evan) making significantly less than the originals.

Now I'm all about keeping movies free of unnecessary excesses. But if I were the people in charge of greenlighting these movies, why mess with the audience that made your first film a success? Apparently someone liked that Zorro killed his enemies in the first film, and apparently someone liked the risque humor of Bruce Almighty. And apparently someone thought it was pretty great to see--wait, what was it really that people saw in Fantastic Four anyway?

But I digress...I'm just curious to know why producers these days think that their movies have to be everything to everyone. If they're going to make a sequel to a beloved movie, why not try to appeal to the audience that loved the movie in the first place? Tomorrow another "family-friendly" sequel comes out for a movie that was decidedly not family-friendly: Live Free or Die Hard, with a franchise-first PG-13 rating. What's next? Rambo IV: Waterguns and Smokebombs?

Let's see if this sanitized-sequel box office trend continues. And it might help if any of these sequels was actually worth seeing...

7 comments:

shoeaddict said...

I agree 100%. Evan Almighty seems like a big disappointment. I love Steve Carrell, Wanda Sykes and Lauren Graham but, I've heard this movie is not what it could be. :(

Devry said...

I just saw the "family friendly" sequel Live Free or Die Hard and I thought it was awesome! Bruce Willis is still hot. Although, some if not most of the action sequences are completely implausible, overall it is a very fun action packed summer movie with eye candy thrown in for the ladies.

Justin said...

I am actually hearing good things about "Die Hard" and can't wait to see it. I got so excited when I saw the preview on TV the other day and Wendy just looked at me and said, "What a guy movie."

She and Kristen will be going to see "Evening" while the boys go see Bruce Willis.

Devry said...

Even though, I want to see Evening as well, Wendy and Kristen will definitely be missing out but not partaking of Bruce Willis in Die Hard. He is ridiculously sexy.

Unknown said...

Live Free or Die Hard was awesome! Amber and I saw it at the Drive-In last night. You won't be disappointed if you go not expecting anything more than a good action movie. Though some of the scenes are completely implausible, you can't help but laugh with McLean as he dodges death again and again. 3 1/2 out of 4 stars!

shoeaddict said...

You didn't go to the movies this weekend, Justin???

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the Die Hard sequel is family-friendly (that phrase is use very loosely) because otherwise I would just have to wait until Clean Flicks makes it family friendly - and I would have to wait until I am in Utah so I could borrow your Clean Flicks membership card, which essentially means I would probably never see it.