Sunday, July 01, 2007

"Wicked," "Mary Poppins" reviews

Wendy and I just got back from a fantastic weekend in NYC, and found much to love (mostly in the form of Roxy's cheesecake and Max Brenner's chocolate). But of course two of the highlights were the big musicals that we saw on Friday and Saturday nights: Wicked and Mary Poppins, respectively. Here are my thoughts:


  • Wicked: This is every bit as much fun as people said, and then some. Even Wendy, who at times scoffs at a good musical, found herself captivated by this whimsical alternate take on The Wizard of Oz. The music is catchy and bright, the sets are colorful and dynamic, and the story is told with energy and charm. Though I thought I knew about the story, there were still several surprises that put a smile on both of our faces. If I have one complaint about the show, it's that we never got to see the Wicked Witch flying around the audience like I fully expected to see...still, it was a lot of fun, and worth seeing if you are ever in NYC.


  • Mary Poppins: We were also really excited to see this one, since it is one of our favorite childhood movies. You've got to hand it to Disney--they spare no expense when it comes to creating a spectacle on-stage. The sets were incredible; they were detailed and creative and constantly changing (they reminded me of the old Sunset Boulevard sets in terms of their grandeur). As for the show and story itself...we sort of wish we had seen this one first, since Wicked seemed to be so much more lively and consistently entertaining. Don't get me wrong, Mary Poppins has a few high-energy numbers that brought down the house (especially "Step in Time"), and is never without something interesting to look at, but missed a bit of the magic of the movie. In talking about it with Wendy afterwards, we decided that the Broadway Mary and Burt didn't quite have the same charm and personality as did good old Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, which could have helped the show feel a little lighter. Additionally, the show varies from the movie's story a bit, adding several new songs and characters that didn't necessarily enhance the story. Having said that, there is probably nothing bigger on Broadway, and it was a very fun way to spend a Saturday night.

7 comments:

Devry said...

I'm going to see "Wicked" on Saturday in LA and I can't wait. Thanks for your very timely review.

shoeaddict said...

How jealous am I?

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I would love to go to NYC. I've never been. Good choice of musicals too. I do have to say that I did not really enjoy the book Wicked. I've heard the musical is much better. That is so fun for you guys, though. Hooray!

love--Kasia

Justin said...

I have also heard that the Wicked book isn't so great.

KA said...

Wicked is in my Big Three: Les Mis, Aida, Wicked. And, after seeing Phantom in Vegas, I might have a Big Four.

Unknown said...

I've seen Phantom in Vegas too and it is pretty spectacular. How did ya like that chandelier?

KA said...

Spectacular. Love love love love loved it.