Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dwight = Frasier?


In one of the stranger stories I've read recently, Roger Friedman from FoxNews.com is reporting that NBC is considering a spinoff to The Office featuring Dwight (Rainn Wilson) in a lead role. While this is still just considered gossip (especially considering the source), it's made me think about this a little bit, and I'm not sure I love the idea. Here are a few reasons:
  • Spinoffs rarely work. For every Frasier, there are a dozen Joeys.
  • It's not like The Office is a franchise like CSI or Law & Order that can co-exist independent from each other...
  • The Office isn't nearly the huge hit that NBC is trying to make it--it regularly loses its timeslot to both Ugly Betty and Survivor (although in the 18-49 age group it does pretty well). Things will get even tougher for the show when it moves up against CSI and Grey's Anatomy.
  • Finally, Dwight is a wonderful supporting player on a show with many odd (and terrific) supporting characters. But as soon as you put Dwight front and center, isn't he just a little too left-field to carry his own show? (You thought Michael Scott was weird...). All I'm saying is that it might be better creatively if you let the supporting players remain supporting players...
Like I say, it's just a rumor at this point. But in my opinion, NBC is about ready to "shrute" up a good thing. What do you think about a Dwight spinoff?

7 comments:

shoeaddict said...

1st- I love The Office BUT Frasier Dwight is not. He is funny but, his character needs the others in "the office" for him to bounce off of to be funny. The whole ensomble is funny working together.

On a side note, can I please put your blog as one I read on my blog? Thanks!
Oh, hope you and your wife (I'm guessing that's who Wendy is?) are feeling better :)
Kristen

Justin said...

Of course you can link me from your blog, assuming that you don't peddle Amway or anything...

What's your blog address?

Annie said...

Hi Justin,
I'm am an Office fan, but I fully agree that a spinoff might be really lame.
Love your blog!
Annie (Glazier) Aitken

shoeaddict said...

Its diaryofkristentheshoeaddict.blogspot.com

Thanks Justin. I'm planning on seeing "Knocked Up", "Bug" & "Waitress" soon? Thoughts??

KA said...

What's the point of Dwight without Jim/Pam? Or Michael?

Devry said...

I'm with KA, for me the best part of the office is Dwight's banter with Jim. Take that away and it just wouldn't be nearly as fun or good of a show to watch.

jennie said...

I vote more Jim and Pam, and a little Dwight. No "Dwight" spin-off!