Thursday, June 21, 2007

Indiana Jones and the Lost Legos?

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article the other day about the recent lucrative licensing deals that are being created to coincide with the upcoming Indiana Jones sequel. Lucasfilms, who has been so successful in merchandising its Star Wars films in virtually every market possible, is hoping to do the same with their Indiana Jones franchise. Among the partnerships that are being forged include, of course, Legos, as well as deals with M&Ms and Burger King, among others.

It's interesting to note the difference in the marketplace since the last time an Indy film (Last Crusade) was released back in 1989. Although I was young back then, I hardly remember any merchandising that went along with the film's release (especially when compared with another huge hit that also came out that summer: the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton Batman). Today it seems like it's hard not to imagine a movie being cross-promoted at fast food chains and in toy store isles (anyone else getting tired of seeing Black Spidey, Shrek, or Cap'n Jack on everything we touch?).

But seriously, how cool does that Lego Indy look? I'm almost praying our baby is a little boy so I can start stocking up on all the cool Indy toys!

6 comments:

shoeaddict said...

Ummm, girls like Indy, too

Justin said...

No worries, I'm sure I'll spend plenty of money on Indy stuff regardless of the gender of our baby.

shoeaddict said...

:) I didn't realize you were a soon-to-be daddy. Congratulations. When's the baby due? How is your wife doing?

KA said...

I'm still hoping it's a girl. Can't help myself.

Justin said...

Wendy's due in December, and we should be finding out the baby's gender in about three weeks!!!

In related news, I should finish reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" again today.

shoeaddict said...

Well, either sex will be wonderful. And what a great book! Looking for names there? Scout? Atticus?