Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Comfort food


Wendy and I have been sick for the past couple of days. You know how it is--you've been curled up in the fetal position for 12 hours, hoping for some relief. When the sun starts setting again, you start to panic because you think it's going to be another night of consistent crawling toward the bathroom on hands and knees. For Wendy, the only thing that brings her comfort at a time like this is...Disney's Sword in the Stone?

I suppose we all have them: movies that just make us feel like we're little kids again. Movies that give us hope when it's gloomy outside. For me, I'd have to say my comfort food is Disney's Pinocchio, although yesterday I settled for Cars (very cute, by the way). Other sick-day favorites: Mary Poppins and Lord of the Rings. I also enjoyed curling up with To Kill a Mockingbird, which I'm reading for the umpteenth time (doing my Atticus research...).

What is your comfort food when you're sick?

7 comments:

Stinsonian said...

Oddly enough, last time I was sick I watched Mary Poppins as well! Another favorite is Savannah Smiles (am I too old or have you heard of it?). Whatever you choose, being sick sucks.

Justin said...

Oh no, I remember "Savannah Smiles" from elementary school and yes, I could see how that might qualify as comfort food.

Nothing like that foxy Julie Andrews with brown hair, though!

Devry said...

Just this past weekend I was sick. I ended up watching John Tucker Must Die. But this is not comfort food by any stretch of the imagination. For some reason, our cable has about 20 channels where we can tap into what other people are watching “On Demand”. Sometimes this is good, other times it is very very bad. But on a Saturday afternoon, someone somewhere was watching “John Tucker Must Die” and since I felt like dying, I decided to watch it with them.

Unknown said...

Kasia is my comfort food. I'm a total wuss when I am sick. If she didn't wait on me hand and foot, I would die.

Brett

Unknown said...

Ahh, that's sweet. I was just remembering a time when Justin and Wendy(and two of their friends) came to visit us in Las Vegas--and I was really sick and pregnant. I recall Justin going to the drug store and getting my medicine because Brett was too busy. So, I would have to say that I love to watch 80's chick flicks: Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Dirty Dancing etc.

Justin said...

I think what Kasia is trying to say is that when you are knocking on death's door, that's when Justin and three friends (Wendy, Lindsay A., and Christian, for the record) will want to come and stay at your house.

Unknown said...

Hey, sometimes friends can be the best comfort food. You guys were great and a lot of fun that weekend; because apparently my husband wasn't much comfort then(I still love you Brett.) Oh wait! Brett went and got me popsicles! That made me feel better.