Wednesday, October 01, 2008

"Pushing Daisies" returns tonight

Last season's best new show (and perhaps one of the best, most unique shows currently on TV) returns tonight after an extra-long strike-induced hiatus. That's right, it's time for the return of Pushing Daisies, tonight at 7:00 (Utah time) on ABC.

For those who missed the nine episodes that aired last year, here's the most important thing to know about the show: Ned (a piemaker) somehow has gained the ability to reawaken the dead simply by touching them. Unfortunately, this power also means that if he touches the person again, they die again...this time forever. Further complicating the issue, Ned's childhood sweetheart, Chuck (short for Charlotte), is one of the beneficiaries of his powers, and yet the two can't touch each other for fear that Chuck will die again permanently. This romantic dilemma, where the two leads are in a physically-unfulfilled relationship, is the central story here, complimented by weekly comical mysteries and quirky subplots with the show's talented supporting cast.

The admittedly far-fetched (and slightly morbid) premise may be off-putting to some, especially those who normally shy away from fantasy. But those who think this is only a show for Harry Potter fans will quickly realize that the show has more in common with Tim Burton's Big Fish than anything you'd see at a comic-book convention. I'd even compare it to Stephanie Meyer's Twilight books, only it's got a lot more intelligence (and cleavage) than the treacly vampire books. Aside from being whimsical and witty, it's also the most visually-inventive show on TV, and probably the most romantic story to hit the air since Jim & Pam. Don't just take my word for it: read what USA Today and Deseret News have to say about tonight's episode here and here.

Though the show was mildly successful in its limited run last year, I would think that it needs to establish a broader audience for ABC to continue to justify its costly budget. So if you haven't already watched it, give it one episode tonight and see if you're not hooked. Then tell all your friends. After all, wasn't I right about 24, Lost, and The Amazing Race?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in. I have never seen this show, but it sounds good to me! I love unique and witty shows. Thanks for the heads up (I think).

Erica Eley said...

My HONEY and I watched it last night... It was a BUZZ! (pardon my cheese). It's for sure going to be a regular now. It's nice to know we can count on an entirely clean show for once, without having to use our DVD player for Disney or Pixar movies as back-up.

Justin said...

OK so we watched as well, and though we were frustrated by the over-abundance of exposition in the story, we're glad to see it back. The bad news is that the show premiered to its smallest audience ever, meaning that unless something changes soon, we may not get a lot more of the quirky show...

Stinsonian said...

We love this show! The season premier was my favorite of all the fall shows so far. Well, maybe it tied for first with The Office.

l.g. mcfifi said...

I have tried to watch this a few times. I enjoyed the new episode this season. Thanks for the background- this show can be a little confusing- by the way- loving the race- I like the 2 guys(buddies)the ones that did the computer task- I kind of like the mother and son too.

jennie said...

I've said it a gazillion times, and I'll say it again. THis is HANDS DOWN the best show on TV.

Michelle said...

If I make a comment, do you promise a new post? I recorded the season premiere and still have the season finale. I'll watch them, but the truth is I don't watch much TV anymore unless my husband is home and he sort of picks the shows and he doesn't like Pushing Daisies. Bring it up with him.