Monday, October 13, 2008

Leftovers

It's been nearly two weeks since I've updated the blog (sorry), so here are a few random things that I feel are worth sharing:
  • We saw Eagle Eye last week, and overall enjoyed it. Shia Labeouf is becoming very dependable for these types of roller-coaster rides (Transformers, Disturbia, Indiana Jones 4), and Eagle Eye continues that trend. The film is fast-paced and slick enough to momentarily forget the severely hole-ridden plot, which is a mishmash of The Fugitive/Wall-E/Flightplan and other paranoia-driven thrillers. It's not classic cinema, but felt worth the price of a ticket + a babysitter. If you haven't seen it yet, you could probably wait for the DVD. (*** out of four)
  • Johnny Depp has apparently become very fond of Disney. In a recent announcement by the studio, it was revealed that he has signed on for no less than three future projects with Disney, including a continuation of the lucrative Pirates of the Caribbean franchise (in what could be another two movies). Additionally, he has agreed to play Tonto in a Disney live-action version of The Lone Ranger, though the Ranger himself has yet to be cast. Finally, in maybe the most interesting news, Depp has agreed to play the Mad Hatter in a live-action Alice in Wonderland by director Tim Burton. I'm not a huge fan of the animated Alice in Wonderland, but the material seems perfect for the quirky combination of Burton and Depp. I can't wait.
  • The Dark Knight has officially been slated for a Dec. 9 DVD/Blu-ray release. This officially puts to bed the speculation that WB was interested in beating Titanic's box office record, which was a silly theory of mine anyway. Having said that, I still think the studio is putting a lot of money behind an Oscar campaign for the film. We'll find out in late January if it works.
  • I'm loving Survivor in HD this season. I haven't always been a die-hard for this show; I usually catch one out of every three seasons. But for the first time, CBS filmed the reality show in HD, and it looks fantastic. Now let's hope that CBS will offer the same shiny package to the next edition of The Amazing Race, which remains my favorite reality show on TV.
  • Speaking of TV, Pushing Daisies needs your help. Since its return to TV two weeks ago, it has lost more than half of the audience it pulled in last year. Yes, it's got tougher competition than it did last year, but it's losing, and badly. How badly? Last week it lost to NBC's dreadful reincarnation of Knight Rider. If it doesn't find an audience soon, not even Ned will be able to revive it. Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m!
  • Finally, I wrote a while ago about a possible revival of the 80s miniseries, V. Now, ABC has made it official: the creepy alien lizards are coming back to TV. The original miniseries and its sequel were the type of stuff that we loved as kids (and then paid for with nightmares at night), so it will be interesting to see how a new version turns out. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay,
1-Wall-E was a thriller? (I haven't seen it yet, but will, don't worry)
2-love the Johnny Depp is in for more Pirates, but what about Orlando Bloom?
3-I can totally picture him as a Mad Hatter.
4-I wish they would move Pushing Daisies to 9. I would watch it then! (We're oldfashioned - no TiVo.)

Cassie said...

"I WAS IN CHARGE!"....

KA said...

I can't WAIT for the mad hatter!!!

Amy said...

OHHH I can't wait for Alice in Wonderland...gotta go...must tell my favorite Alice in Wonderland friends

jennie said...

I think you need to write a mass e-mail about Pushing Daisies and I'll send it to everyone I know.

Justin said...

Sunny: 1. No, Wall-E wasn't a thriller per se, but did have elements in common with Eagle Eye.

2. Doubtful that Orlando Bloom will return. Sorry.

l.g. mcfifi said...

I will watch this Wednesday promise- and thanks for the updates. I am excited for the new James Bonds film too!

Katie said...

Sorry Jay, as much as I liked Pushing Daisies, I LOVE Bones which is on at the same time. I can't switch.

Michelle said...

Finally! A post filled with things I could talk about forever. But alas, I don't have time to leave lots of comments. So here goes.
1. We saw Eagle Eye on Saturday and it was the first movie in a REALLY long time where I hadn't even seen a trailer before stepping foot in the theatre. I think it really helped me. I liked it. Don't think I would say it's worth waiting for DVD, because I liked the action and I love the girl that's in it, whatever her name is.
2. Interesting about Johnny Depp. I heard they were trying to find someone to cast as his brother in POTC, Russel Brand? Interesting about about Alice in Wonderland...but it's the perfect show to Burtonize. Creepy cats and all. Johnny Depp will be perfect, but hope that he make it different from his role as Jack Sparrow - similar characters in some ways.
3. Sorry about Pushing Daisies REALLY sad it lost to Knight Rider.
4. Still won't watch Survivor. We're really cutting back.
5. You'll be pleased to know that Aaron is on his way to Redbox as we speek to pick up Indiana Jones. He hasn't seen it yet, and he's thrilled to watch it the day it comes out on video. ALMOST as excited as you were to see it opening day. ALMOST.
Finally, so much for keeping my comments brief.

Anonymous said...

So excited for this new Alice!! I loved the Disney animated version as a kid, but it doesn't compare with the book. This movie is supposed to follow the book storyline closer with the two queens.

I hope you are feeling better. Didn't mean to run you out of the office today, but really, isn't it better to feel awful at home in jammies? Caprice

Stinsonian said...

Pushing Daisies has been a favorite of ours! How sad that it's not doing well. Love Ned!! We are also LOVING Survivor in HD. I swear we're not couch-potatoes. :)