Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lessons learned from "Arrested Development"

This post might sound a little broken-recordish, but I'll tell you why I feel a responsibility to bark up this tree again. Thanks to the glories of HDNet (one of the most bizarrely-programmed channels I've found), I've recently become a fan of the late, great Arrested Development. You might remember this show as one in a long list of critically-beloved, viewer-challenged shows that failed to find an audience. By some miracle (and an Emmy or two), Fox allowed the decidedly untraditional (and occasionally irreverent) sitcom to last for three abbreviated seasons. I don't know how I missed the show the first time around, but it's the silliest, wittiest 30 minutes of my day, and I'm devastated to learn that I've only got about four days to go before I'm all out of fresh episodes. That Arrested Development never found a large audience is truly a television tragedy.

While I can't say that I'd put Pushing Daisies on the same comedic pedestal as Arrested Development, it does share a few things in common with AD: it is just as unique, just as witty, and just as viewer-challenged. And in my mind, in just as much danger of an early retirement.

So for all of you who ever got attached to a show that was cancelled due to low viewership (Jericho, Moonlight, etc.) let's rally around Pushing Daisies, shall we? The good karma you'll engender will be worth the hour on a Wednesday night (especially if you're a Nielsen household).

And Katie, Bones isn't on tonight, so you have no excuse...

7 comments:

Dana said...

My family loves A.D. I never watched it on fox in prime time but my little sister introduced me and we've now watched all three seasons on DVD. It's such a hit with our family we call my mom and dad Gangy and Pop-Pop, much to my mother's dismay. I'll have to give Pushing Daisies a chance, I'd hate to miss another comedic gem.

Miss Gabe said...

Glen and I just discovered a world filled with Buster about a month ago, what are the odds! We borrowed the first season and then instantly went and purchased them all the next day after being blown away by the humor. We took it with us on our Jacobs family vacation last week and converted them. In my heart of hearts I am hoping some how it will come back on air even though the chances are obvious. Glad you found it!

l.g. mcfifi said...

I loved that show- have you seen the one where Portia's weird husband wears the cut off jeans!

johnEboy said...

I've been meaning to thank you for the strong recommendation of Pushing Daises. Each episode gets more enjoyable. And I'm glad you are enjoying Arrested Development. I can see where you are coming from on the comparison but I am still tempted to call blasphemy. AD and Seinfeld are the two shows that just thinking of an episode make me LOL. I think Gob is my favorite and the best episodes involve the hot cops.

Katie said...

I'm sorry, I missed it again. This time my excuse was good. I was filling hygiene kits at the Bishops Storehouse. Bones where are you?

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you, we love HD Net TV as well. Totally random, but some good stuff crops up.

Ryan said...

On your recommendation, we're trying Pushing Daisies... the jury is still out for me... Have you tried Eli Stone? We're fans.