Thursday, October 04, 2007

We should all be "Pushing Daisies"

Because of my aforementioned lack of engaging TV shows to watch this fall, I was willing to give one of the newbies a shot because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews I've been seeing for it. The show is ABC's Pushing Daisies, which premiered last night, and I have to say, it's definitely the most interesting pilot (premiere episode) I've seen since Lost three years ago. Not that this show has much else in common with Lost; Pushing Daisies is breezy, romantic, and completely charming.

The premise is the stuff of fairy-tales: a shy pie-maker is magically given the gift (or curse) to bring the dead to life with a single touch. This gift has it's pros (he talks to murder victims so he can solve the crime and collect the bounty) and cons (if he touches the recently revived a second time, they die again, this time forever...). Without giving too much away, the premise certainly shows promise of becoming a quirky and addicting diversion for Wednesday nights; a welcome contrast from the standard soaps and procedurals that dominate the rest of network TV.

The main reason I bring up this show is for all you Twilight fans out there; this show (or at least last night's episode) has the potential to be the charming romantic comedy you've all be waiting for. (Watching it by myself while Wendy was at the church, I stopped it halfway through so I could rewatch it with her...she loved it.) Having said that, it's romantic without being cheesy, witty without being cheap, and quirky but accessible. No, there aren't vampires, but it does involve death, so cheer up.

ABC is reairing the pilot on Friday night. If you missed it last night, set your DVRs to catch Pushing Daisies. For at least one hour, you'll be glad you did.

17 comments:

KA said...

Sufficiently intrigued. DVR set for Friday.

Devry said...

Dana and I almost watched it, but then we opted for a new episode of ANTM (America's Next Top Model). I know. But I just can't help myself.

Dana said...

I'll be tuning in on Friday! Or maybe I'll try to find it online now.

Katie said...

Ammon and I watched Chuck on Saturday night. I thought it was pretty good, what are your thoughts?

Justin said...

We missed the first episode of "Chuck" but watched most of this past Monday's episode (where it airs normally), and it was mildly amusing. Don't know if it will become regular-viewing material for me, but it seemed harmless.

shoeaddict said...

I LOVED Pushing Daisies !! I cannot wait for more.

KA said...

SO quirky. I enjoyed, but can't say I loved. Will give it another chance. Jon was less impressed. He preferred to read a website about airplanes.

A Little Sass said...

You almost lost me with the Twilight comment. I am willing to give Pushing Daisies a shot because of all the positive feedback I have heard.

Justin said...

I realize that the comparison of "Pushing Daisies" to "Twilight" was a stretch--all I was trying to say is that they both have some romance to them (even if one does it much better than the other). It was a shameless appeal to my female readers.

jennie said...

Twilight and Pushing Daisies both have the "can't touch" tension that is irresistable. I mosly loved the colors and the witty rhetoric. I thought it was awesome. Thanks for the referral.

shoeaddict said...

Justin- having both read Twilight and watched P.D.- I hope when you said "One doing it much better than the other," I hope you meant Stephenie Meyer as the one not doing as well!

Those books(yes, I read the first two) struggle!!! Pushing Daisies does not.

Unknown said...

Justin, we totally trust you. I am going to set my DVR for Pushing Daisies right now. We will try it for you!

Oh, and I totally understood your comparison of Twilight and the show--even though I haven't read the book.

Justin said...

And to think, Kasia, that all I had to do to win your trust was be your husband's punching bag for 30 days...

jennie said...

Watched last night's episode. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle Y said...

I loved your critique on Pushing Daisies. I am h**ked on the show now as well. Its a really clever show that has got me looking forward to Wed. nights.

shoeaddict said...

Oh, this show doesn't disappoint! my top five favorite new shows (NO ORDER):
Pushing Daisies
Cane
Dirty Sexy Money
Gossip Girl (I know, I know- it's all Miss Lindsay Arnett's fault!)
Big Shots

Unknown said...

Watched it, liked it, will watch more. Thank you for making us like ANOTHER show. As if we didn't have enough on our plate . . .

Brett