Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Survivor," anyone?

I am a very casual Survivor fan. I have only seen three complete seasons of the show (Marquesas, All-Stars and Guatemala), and have only occasionally caught episodes of other seasons. My lazy attitude toward the show (really one of the major pioneers of today's reality TV craze) stems mostly from the fact that there were usually so many other shows on that I'd rather spend my TV-time on.

Not so this time. With the exception of The Office (which returns next Thursday), I can't think of another show this fall that I'm excited to watch. Yes, I'm mildly curious about Back to You with Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton--I've always loved a well-done traditional sitcom--although the jury's out on this one. I'll give it another week or two to decide if it deserves a timer on my DVR.

I'm also mildly curious about ABC's Pushing Daisies, which critics are unanimously declaring to be the best new show this year. Having said that, critics' also praised Studio 60 last year, and it ended up crashing and burning in a most spectacular fashion. So I'm a little reserved about jumping on the critics' "best" bandwagon.

At least Survivor is a proven brand, which season after season continues to attract people around the watercooler. Although its ratings have waned since the show first premiered, it still does huge numbers up against some other very popular shows, and has "outlasted" almost all of its clones (despite what NBC keeps trying to make us believe, The Apprentice is running on fumes). I think part of Survivor's success has been the exciting locations, which change each season, as well as producers' ability to recruit some very unique TV personalities (who, though almost always "beautiful," seem a little less desperate and shallow than, say, the creepy girls of The Bachelor).

As for the game itself, the challenges, rewards, and twists have evolved, sometimes in a thrilling fashion, and sometimes in a "all that hype for nothing" way (remember the racial division a couple of seasons back, which ended shortly and quietly after the premiere episode?). Having said that, I don't feel like there's anything else to watch on Thursday night, since I don't get into Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, ER, or CSI. Yes, I'm back to Survivor by default.

Come January, my TV schedule gets a little more exciting, with the return of 24, Lost, American Idol, and The Amazing Race. But until then, I'm a Survivor fan again. Who's in with me?

6 comments:

shoeaddict said...

ME!! Unlike you, I am into everything this season. I just got a DVR and it's yelling at me! No more shows, blahblahblah...

Plus, there is a guy fom Louisiana on Survivor. Hope he does not embarrass!

Justin said...

Was Chicken the Louisiana guy? If so, do you think he did your state proud?

I liked the show last night overall--fantastic location, and already some standout players. I think it will be fun to watch this season.

shoeaddict said...

No, Chicken was from Virginia. James the grave digger on the other team is from LA. I was satisfied!

shoeaddict said...

I know!! I love it!!

Katie said...

I can't say that I'll be watching Survivor again. I watched Allstars and that was enough for me. Although I am excited for the Office next week!

Unknown said...

We are in with you Justin! We've been true Survivor fans since the first season, yet wobbled a little the last season. Our DVR was getting too full and I was losing interest. But we feel exactly like you in that there's not that many of our favorite shows starting this fall. We are anticipating January for sure. So...Survivor by default!