Thursday, March 09, 2006


Walking the Line

Tonight was a perfect night. I cuddled up to my sweetheart under a blanket with a bowl of popcorn (air-popped of course) and watched a good movie in the dark. I can't think of very many things that I'd rather be doing.

The movie was "Walk the Line" with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. Without having seen any of the other Oscar nominees, I can state with complete subjectivity that Joaquin was robbed. He was stunning as Johnny Cash--not only electric and emotional, but entertaining as well. That said, the Academy got it right by honoring Reese, who was the epitome of charm as June Carter. They were two of my favorite performances in a looong time, and made the movie completely convincing. I hope to get the soundtrack soon too--those two can sing!

The movie is yet another example of something that has become clearer and clearer to me as time goes on: behind every great man is an even greater woman. I don't condone some of Mr. Cash's actions, but found comfort that he finally achieved happiness and stability once he found himself with a woman who loved and supported him, even through his ugliest of days.

Wendy and I have one painting hanging on our wall at home; it's a print of James Christensen's "Poofy Guy on a Short Leash." It humorously depicts a stalwart-looking woman keeping a, well, poofy guy grounded, who otherwise would fly away without direction or boundaries. Anyone who knows me knows why the painting hangs in our home. I guess that's one thing I have in common with Johnny Cash: we both ended up with our June Carter.

1 comment:

PJC said...

What a cute entry! I also liked the movie, but I LOVED Reese Witherspoon. She is a doll in this movie, and compares nicely to the woman in the print. "Poofy Guy" is one of my very favorite prints. I think every woman would like to think that she is the strength behind her man...maybe that's we like it so much. But thanks for the shout out to James, I'll make sure he sees your entry.
Jenn