Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pride and a bit of Prejudice

At the risk of offending my massive reader-base, I feel I must confess my thoughts upon finishing the book "Pride and Prejudice" (here only three weeks after book club...): Overall, I admired the book; the prose is beautiful and witty, several of the characters are unique and memorable, and there are some genuinely poignant moments.

That said, I have to admit that I do not find myself on the list of Austen fanatics that will quote this book--or even really remember it--a few years down the road. Part of the problem may be that I allowed myself to read it over too long a period of time (2 months I think), which gave the lengthy book an even longer feel. Another challenge is the book's British origins; sometimes the writing was just a little too fancy for my simple mind. (As an English major, I should probably disclose that I much preferred American literature to British, so take my comments with a grain of salt.)

Reading "Pride and Prejudice" was a pleasant experience--a clever study of human nature and communication--and I'm happy that I got through it. Time will tell if it grows "more dear" to me, but for now, I'll settle on the 2 hour DVD version (no thanks on the A&E marathon...) if anyone in my house needs a quick-fix of Jane Austen. In the meantime, I'm excited about this month's American book: "Cold Sassy Tree."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay--I think it's a tribute to your character that you plugged away. I'm proud of you and as a fellow first-time reader of P&P, believe you and I both to be a step closer now to the CK.

Anonymous said...

I congratulate you on finishing P&P. Even if you never develop a true appreciation (Or is it an unhealthy obsession?)for all things Ms. Austen, you finished a classic novel that everyone (especially english majors) should read before they die. However, just like the scriptures, a true Austen appreciation cannot be obtained one the first read, it takes at least two or three readings.

lacy lee said...

Jay,
It would actually be socially unacceptable for you to love and adore Jane. Just as long as you don't bash her, her admirers will be satisfied.

PJC said...

Jay-- I liked the new P&P movie, with only one or two minor complaints. I didn't think Mr. Darcy was very cute, and I thought that Elizabeth's little sisters were a little over the top. Maybe that's how they were in the book. I really should read it. I'm nervous to read it because of the grammar. I found the movie was even hard to understand at times, I'm going to have to watch it again to make sure I catch everthing. Thanks for your help on the link thing, it worked!!

Jenn