Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar thoughts

With no Oscar Party to keep me entertained, I quickly remembered why I started holding an Oscar Party in the first place...the show is surprisingly dull for about 75% of the time. The clips are too long, most of the awards are uninteresting, and the "banter" is awkward and forced. Last night's show, in particular, had a few particularly puzzling elements: What was with the band playing through the winners' speeches? And why oh why do they ask senile old screen legends (like Lauren Bacall) to give stilted old speeches that are impossible to read without bifocles? Did the show's producers learn nothing from Elizabeth Taylor's embarrassing "Glaaaadiator" debacle at the Golden Globes a few years back?

That said, there were a few bright spots from last night's show. Reese Witherspoon's win was as welcome as her acceptance speech was cheery. I also enjoyed Jon Stewart overall. And I could actually hear the collective gasp when "Crash" won the Best Picture award, stealing the thunder away from "Brokeback Mountain." Oscar surprises are so rare; it was fitting that the best surprise of all was reserved for the end of the show.

As predicted, however, this year's telecast was the 2nd least-watched Academy Awards ceremony since 1974. Cry as he might, George Clooney just doesn't get that Hollywood really is out of touch with the rest of the country. Here's hoping that next year's awards will give us something to cheer about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We Tivo'd and watched it last night. Turns out this is a FABULOUS way to watch. We saw everything interesting in less than an hour. And yes, Reese was pure delight.

Justin said...

We changed the channel during the "pimp" song--changing the channel is what people used to do before Tivo.

PJC said...

I am happy to say that I didn't watch any of the show. no not even the pimp song. I am thrilled to hear that the ratings were close to the worst in recent history but we still have room for improvement! In my case they actually lost ratings to the food network! That'll show them.

PJC said...

I am happy to say that I didn't watch any of the show. no not even the pimp song. I am thrilled to hear that the ratings were close to the worst in recent history but we still have room for improvement! In my case they actually lost ratings to the food network! That'll show them.