Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Harrison Ford isn't on fire...

Harrison Ford's latest, "Firewall," returns him to his trusty role of a likable, trusting family-man who gets into some really nasty trouble at the hands of some really nasty people. It's no different a character from those he has played in "The Devil's Own," "The Fugitive," "Clear and Present Danger," etc. In fact, when it comes right down to it, the plot oddly resembles his last big hit, 1997's "Air Force One." Here, instead of PotUS, Ford plays a healthy bank's CIO, whose family is ransomed by cyber-saavy bankrobbers (instead of terrorists) for access to the bank's biggest customers' accounts. Well, as you can imagine, there are lots and lots of coincidences that work in the bad guys' favor, as well as a few that work against them (how convenient that Harrison Ford's character gets a new trackable GPS-ish leash for their dog on the same day as the kidnapping...do you think that will come up later in the movie?) The result is a predictible rehash of things we've seen Ford do in a dozen other movies.

Having said that, Harrison Ford is comfort food, and when we've seen him try to do other things ("What Lies Beneath"), it usually tastes like that dish you shouldn't have ordered instead of your traditional favorite--you always wish he'd stick with what works. (If only this one worked a little better...). The movie is harmless, has a few laughs, a few thrills, and lots of gratuitous shots of that new Chrysler. Won't be included on Harrison Ford's lifetime achievement award reel, but it might be worth a DVD rental, if only to remember the type of character we love him to play. (**1/2 out of four)

5 comments:

PJC said...

Thanks for the tip, probably won't see it. I was thinking that maybe you should review an occasional movie that has been out for a while. Big Fish would be a great one. Jenn

Anonymous said...

I wish you would have told me this BEFORE we went to see it. And just so you believe that people are reading your blog, I think I might begin commenting every time I check for a new post (even though I am--let's be honest--very often disappointed). A Big Fish review would be a great start.

PJC said...

I thought of another older movie I would love you to review. Chocolate. I love that movie, but I keep forgetting that I love that movie. That's why I think it would be fun for you to review older movies. It will remind us of movies we need to rent from you! Jenn

lacy lee said...

Big Fish is a great film. But on the Harrison subject, we watched Sabrina last night. And I can never tell (although I have my suspicions) whether he is really bad in the role of Linus. I think my judgement is blocked due to my cult affinity for the movie.

Devry said...

I'm commented to let Justin know, that like KA, I check his blog daily and eagerly await updates and am often left dissapointed. I need your movie reviews!!! Forget your job, blog!!!