Friday, March 14, 2008

Last night's "Lost" leaves me feeling lost

Let me preface this tough-love post to my favorite show by saying that I am not bailing on you, just that I'm really really REALLY disappointed with the direction you've taken as of last night with Jin and Sun. This is not an irreversible misstep, and maybe not even a misstep at all, but either way it upsets me.

There. Now we can talk about the details (skip this post if you didn't watch last night...):
  • Great, mind-bending episode. Lost is on a roll this season.
  • So it really does look like a showdown between Ben and Charles Widmore. Only question is, who's the good guy here?
  • Michael = Kevin Johnson? Is he just pretending to not recognize Sayid, or is he brainwashed? Is he Ben's spy? Did he write the "Do Not Trust the Captain" note?
  • Cabin fever: very creepy
  • Who wanted to slap Juliet right along with Sun last night? Now I don't normally slap women, but last night I really wanted to...
Finally, let's discuss the flash-forwards last night. Am I the only one who finished the episode thinking that Jin had had not only survived, but that he was living a second life somewhere else? Tragically, turns out he's dead. His "flash-forwards" were really "flashbacks," a fact I only clued into after reading commentaries on EW.com and TVGuide.com. This bothers me for two reasons: (1) I really don't like that producers played with our heads so much last night...they're taking some serious liberties by throwing THREE time periods into the same episode, just in the name of a good twist-ending. (2) Is anyone else getting sick of seeing that no one ever seems to be able to achieve happiness in this Lost universe? Would it have killed them to give SOMEONE a happy ending?

All I can say is that if in two years, when Lost comes to its promised conclusion, there had darn well BETTER be some smiling faces amidst the remaining survivors, or I'm going to feel like jumping off a boat with some heavy chains wrapped around my body...

12 comments:

jennie said...

I don't think that Jin is dead. I think he's still on the island and that Sun is using his gravesite as a symbol of him. Otherwise, I don't think she would have been calling for him during her labor. (she looked DANG good for having a 2 week old, that's for sure).

I also thought the cabin fever is creepy.

I think that Micheal IS the spy, and I think that Ben is the bad guy. I thought the captain's story made perfect sense.

It's creepy to think of where someone might have gotten 300 dead people to sub for the real flight 815. Hmm. So much to think about.

SO, let's count the oceanic 6. Kate, Jack, Hurley, Sun, Sayid, Aaron. RIGHT??? Or do we count Aaron?

jennie said...

And who's going to die??? Claire? Jin?

Devry said...

Like Jennie, I too hope Jin is not dead and just on the island. I love Jin and Sun and want a happy reunion when the Oceanic 6 eventually get back to the island. Otherwise, I will be ticked! But I definitely think they played one too many tricks last night with the viewers, (esp. if Jin is not really dead but just on the island with everyone else).

Jon said...

I loved the episode and I love the direction they're taking the show.

Here are your answers:

1. Charles Widmore and Ben Linus are BOTH bad guys.
2. Michael recognizes Sayid but doesn't want it to show. He's working for Ben as a spy. He was blackmailed by Ben. See the sneak peek on the abc website for proof. He probably wrote the note. It appears that at least most of what the captain told Desmond and Sayid is true, although it is unclear to me whether it was Ben or Charles who orchestrated the fake crash.
3. Flash forwards and flash backs in the same episode? I think it's great. It makes the show even more interesting and hard to figure out. I thought it was a lot of fun trying to figure things out last night.
4. What do you mean no one achieves happiness? Are you forgetting Kate and Aaron? And there are lots of other characters whose fate is still unknown but who very well could live happily ever after on an island paradise where food literally falls from the sky.
5. Apparently one of the producers said some time ago that everything on the show will eventually be scientifically explained. There's a fascinating theory going around about how the black smoke is actually dark matter ala Stephen Hawking. I couldn't be more interested in a show.

Michelle said...

J...I didn't watch Thursday's episode, so I stopped reading. My husband talked me into saving up a bunch of episodes. But I want you to know that I check your blog.

Stinsonian said...

Why wouldn't Hurley & Sun talk about Jin actually being alive on the island, rather than just quietly visiting his grave? I think the Oceanic 815 plot was Ben's doing. Doesn't he have more leftover bodies from the Dharma group? When are we going to find out more about Jacob?? (Agreed, someone better end up happy...)

Justin said...

Jon: I didn't think you had that many words in you. Very nice response! But hold on just a second: Kate and Aaron achieve happiness? Did you forget that Aaron is Claire's son, not Kate's?!?!

And I agree with the Stinsons...if Jin is really alive, why would Sun and Hurley go through the motions of mourning Jin at his grave?

Yes it's addictive, but I tell you again, there had BETTER be a happy ending somewhere down the line!!!

Katie said...

I'm in shock after reading Jon's response. And, oldest brother, did you know I have a blog? Lost was awesome, Juliet bugs, Sun seems happy with baby and all.

Low Gain said...

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm caught up. We'll have to talk. Again, where's my pin "How's it gonna end?"

johnEboy said...

Yes! I found your blog again. This season is awesome. Are we really not going to have another new episode for a month? So annoying. I still can't believe Sayid is working for Ben.

PJC said...

Did you notice the date on Jin's headstone? It was the date of the crash. I think it is part of the coverup, and to Sun, Jin is lost because he is still on the island so she goes to the grave like it is a place to remember him, but i think that he is still on the island.