Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"The Spiderwick Chronicles" review

It's been a couple of months since Wendy and I had been able to get to the movies, so it was lovely for Wendy's parents to watch Lily over the weekend while we got out to celebrate our 5th anniversary. The movie we chose to see was The Spiderwick Chronicles, which I hadn't been horribly excited to see based on the TV ads or trailers available. The reviews, however, were mostly positive, and we both love fantasy (when done well), so we thought we'd give it a shot. We weren't disappointed.

Though targeted to young children, who have likely read the books, there's much to love in Spiderwick for grown-ups as well, including an excellent cast, led by the always terrific Freddie Highmore. The production values are fantastic, with appealing and believable sets and props (the creepy old house is really great), convincing creature effects, and another good musical score from James Horner (one of my favorite composers). I won't get into the story, because the surprise is half of the fun, but it has elements that are reminiscent of The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, or Bridge to Terabithia.

More than anything, the movie made me feel like a little kid again. As I was sitting there enjoying the adventure, I couldn't help but remember those imaginative days of my childhood where we would seek out or build "clubs" (usually in the weeds in our backyard or in the Stilson's abandoned sheds) where we kids could act out our fantasies. Though the movie doesn't really deal with it specifically as a theme, it feels implied that adulthood signals the death of the imagination, something I find both sad and inspiring at the same time.

It might have just been the luster of a "night out," but Wendy and I found The Spiderwick Chronicles to be a worthwhile and fun diversion. It's a little scary for young kids, but the rest of you will probably enjoy it a lot. I hope we get to see more of this world. (***1/2 out of four)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Okay, what have you heard? Why does Kate have Aaron, and does Jack know about it? What happened to Claire? There's something fishy going on here.