Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stephanie Meyer's "The Host" coming to theaters

I haven't read Stephanie Meyer's first "adult" novel, The Host, but the very concept seems like a little obscure for a big-screen adaptation. Something about a friendly alien who attempts to take control of a friendly human's body, and together they fall in love with the same man (I'm doing this from memory of Wendy's synopsis two years ago). I remember the reviews were generally kind; much more so than for Meyer's polarizing Breaking Dawn. Still, it's not really my cup of tea...it may just be how I feel about all things Stephanie Meyer (bless her heart).

Regardless, the author has apparently finally agreed to sell the rights for her novel, which will be written for the screen and directed by Andrew Niccol, director of the sci-fi classic Gattaca and screenwriter of the terrific The Truman Show. Again, the story itself doesn't really appeal to me, but the talent involved at the very least raises my level of interest just a bit. I'm curious to get casting news, although I'm assuming it will be several months before we get any details.

What about you? Does a big-screen version of The Host get you all tingly like you do about Twilight?

4 comments:

jennie said...

I thought the HOST was pretty interesting, definitely not as romantic as the Vampire books, but it was interesting. I didn't think I would like the sci-fi stuff, but it was pretty good. You would have liked it better than the Twilight books Jay, the men aren't nearly as beautiful in the HOST! Hahahahah

ammonc said...

I liked The Host. The plot is pretty simple and there was a lot of down time/character building so I think it will adapt better to the big screen than Harry Potter.

And for Jennie's sake, I think the cast will be more beautiful than the Hogwarts crew.

Katie said...

Hmm it should be interesting. I just wonder how they'll do it because half of the dialogue takes place in her head. I'm kind of excited.

Stinsonian said...

I liked the Host. I kept thinking while I was reading it that it would make for an interesting movie! Most of the book took place in underground caves... that will be interesting to put into a film.