Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh for the love...

Forgive me a rare political commentary, but is it just me, or does Sarah Palin just need to shut her pretty little mouth and move on with life? Ever the publicity hound, the way she has turned this David Letterman non-fiasco into her return to the limelight is an ugly, opportunistic overreaction. Obviously, Dave's joke was unfunny. Worst case, it was tasteless and inappropriate. But he's a comedian, and when a comedian makes a bad joke, you don't laugh or you stop listening. But for crying out loud...that Palin has gotten a week full of publicity out of a bad Letterman joke is a terrible, shameful way to stay in the public eye. It's hardly the first time a politician's family has been mocked on late-night TV. And yes, I agree that there's a double-standard in the way that Obama and his family have been spared any cruel jokes. But is this really the dialogue Palin wants to be remembered for?

We already know that we don't expect tact or taste from the entertainment industry. But surely we conservatives should expect more from our prospective leaders, right?

3 comments:

Ben Thomas said...

booyah grandma. Way to be the voice of reason Jdawg. I love it.

Katie said...

I guess I don't know what happened.

Anonymous said...

Though I don't exactly fall into the conservative category... I completely agree with you. I actually liked Sarah Palin during her first talk. However, it has been a slide downhill ever since.