Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Merry Christmas, Ringers!

This is the news that fantasy fans worldwide have been waiting for: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is finally coming to the big screen, thanks to the recent reconciliation of Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema. Read the exciting (and long-overdue) press release here.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Hot on the heels of the disappointing news that our baby is likely a few weeks away still (sniff, sniff), this comes as a pleasant consolation, as Wendy and I are both big fans of both the books and Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy. The press release doesn't discuss a lot of specifics (such as casting or even an official director, although I would be shocked if Peter Jackson didn't take the reigns again), but the fact that everyone is at peace again is good news for everyone.

Shooting begins in 2009, with a target release date of 2010 for The Hobbit and 2011 for the as-yet-unnamed sequel to The Hobbit. (Yes, we're getting not one, but two more LOTR movies!) Can I get a resounding woo-hoo from everyone?!?!

9 comments:

shoeaddict said...

I really hope your wife and baby are well.

Wendy Marie said...

YEAH! I loved that book! I can't wait. And yes, sadly I don't think we'll be getting that tax break this year...

KA said...

But you just never never know.

Shoeaddict said...

And January is a good month for babies (I'm a January baby). I love my birthstone.

Katie said...

Another appearance from Wendy! You're becoming a regular. Can't wait to see you and belly in a few days!

Justin said...

Wife and baby are well, just not separating nearly as quickly as either would like...

But seriously folks, the HOBBIT!!! :)

Low Gain said...

2009?! Geez, that seems like so far away! And that's just when they're filming the movie, not releasing it! Ah... well, I guess good things come to those who wait. Let's just hope the movie doesn't have the same all-man bass choir singing for it's soundtrack.

cassie said...

I'm sure Spencer will be happy to hear the news. He is still wanting to watch all the movies with you. Maybe after the baby and your life settles down again. WHo am I kidding-- I'm still waiting for life to settle down 14 years later.

jennie said...

This fantasy fan is waiting for pics of the baby!