Monday, April 17, 2006

"Dick and Jane" is not fun, "Shattered Glass" is.

  • "Fun with Dick and Jane"--Here's the thing: I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey, and think that he's only made one movie where he didn't drive me nuts in at least one scene ("The Truman Show"). But even with my general apathy towards the actor, I don't think he's the one that ruins this movie. That honor goes to the director and screenwriters, who can't decide if this comedy is a broad and silly farce, a dark satire, or a sad commentary on our materialistic society. The result is a hodgepodge of semi-clever moments mixed in with some drastic tonal shifts that make it nearly impossible to decide if the Dick and Jane (Carrey and the always charming Tea Leoni) are the good or the bad guys. At one point, Dick and Jane go on a wild crime spree--robbing banks, convenience stores, etc.--so that they can keep their home and their big-screen TV. Who are they trying to get back at? These are our heroes?!?! When the final credits roll, the movie is mockingly dedicated to Kenneth Lay, Jeffrey Skilling, etc. (of Enron fame), as if the sole purpose of the movie had been to expose insider trading (which it doesn't). To quote the always verbose Randy Jackson, this movie was just "aaaah-ayytt" for me. (** out of four)
  • "Shattered Glass"--Much better is this 2003 drama, starring Hayden Christensen (Darth Vader from the newer "Star Wars" movies) and Peter Sarsgaard (the air marshall from "Flightplan"). This little-seen indie depicts the real-life rise and fall of newswriter Stephen Glass (Christensen), who is suspected of having fabricated several of his stories for "The New Republic." The result is a splendid cautionary tale that is all the more fascinating because it is based on a true story. With the exception of a few whiny moments that are too reminiscent of "Episode II," Christensen gives a charismatic and convincing performance as a master storyteller. Much more interesting to watch, however, is Sarsgaard as the magazine's editor, who struggles to find the truth while walking the tight-rope of trust and integrity with Glass. Sarsgaard's performance is nuanced, believable, and fascinating to watch. Interesting as an inside look at print journalism, the movie is even more gripping as a commentary about the risks of telling little white lies, and the danger of trusting someone who is prone to share them. Though a little profane for my tastes, the movie is definitely worth a rent. (***1/2 out of four)

5 comments:

KA said...

I never knew Hayden Christensen was in anything NOT Star Wars. Jay, your blog is so educational.

PJC said...

I saw most of shattered glass in a hotel room a couple of years ago and thought it was an interesting movie but never found out the title. I think I may have even asked you about it later, come to think of it I think that you were in the hotel room next door to us and we were waiting for Wendy to curl her hair or something (san fran trip??)

Anyway, I do have a point, and it is that I have always wanted to finish the movie (Wendy had a fast hair curl that day, I guess, because we got cut short).

... and I am caught up with 24 finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin said...

I didn't want to have to say that Wendy's curls were the reason I saw part of it that day too, but you have revealed the truth and I cannot lie. Come to think of it, Wendy's curls have allowed me to see quite a few movies (as well as a few naps, MarioKart runs, and 7-course meals).

KA said...

Since I didn't have Wendy's curls to contend with, I watched "Glass" last night, in its entirety. All of what you said is true. It wasn't "entertaining" per se, b/c of the subject matter. But it blew my mind how he became addicted to the high of praise undeserved.

KA said...

Jay--I have been VERY patiently waiting and checking and waiting and checking. Mercy! It's time for a new post!!!!!