Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Will John Williams return to score HP7?



Everyone who reads this blog regularly knows how much I have enjoyed the Harry Potter films. In some ways, the films just keep getting better and better. I think that I would still rank the movies in the same order I did a couple of years ago (with Prisoner of Azkaban as my favorite and Chamber of Secrets as my least favorite). And there are only two days before I get to see Half-Blood Prince and report how I would rank it with relation to its predecessors (stay tuned). But one of my only complaints about HP4 and HP5 is that the accompanying scores have been forgettable. They did very little to expand the magical canvas that was being painted on-screen for the boy wizard. The missing link? Legendary composer John Williams.

Anyone who knows me will tell you what a huge John Williams fan I am. You all know his music (Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Superman, E.T., Jurassic Park, Home Alone). Less well known are his more subtle (but no less satisfying) scores for artsier films like Memoirs of a Geisha, Schindler's List, or Catch Me if You Can. And while his Harry Potter music (he did the first three films) isn't necessarily his most acclaimed, I can't help but hear it in my mind any time I read the books.

Today comes exciting word from Harry Potter producer David Heyman that John Williams has been approached to finish out the Harry Potter film saga by scoring one or both of the installments for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I believe the official quote was "If we can make work, and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." That's far from a confirmation of this happening, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Let's all hope this works out, as having John Williams return to the series after a three-film break would be a lovely bookend to this fantastic franchise. I can't wait to see what he'd do with the broomstick battle in the skies, or the escape from Gringotts bank, or the battle at Hogwarts, or Harry's final confrontation with Voldemort, etc. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: