Friday, July 31, 2009

"Alien," "Pirates" updates

I just need a quick break from work, so I'll give a very brief update on two very popular film franchises:
  • First, Variety reported today that Ridley Scott--director of the original Alien--has agreed to return to the franchise for a prequel to his original film. This is bizarre news, because it is rare for an A-list director to return to a franchise that has pretty much gotten worse with every successive installment. I can't wait to see what he does with this.
  • Second, rumor has it that Disney is apparently trying to woo Rob Marshall (director of Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha) to direct the upcoming fourth Pirates of the Carribean film. While I don't really have any opinion about Marshall as a director, I am excited for a new Pirates movie, which the studio is aiming to make smaller and more character-centric than the most recent sequels. Johnny Depp is for sure coming back, but we will not likely be seeing Keira Knightley or Orlando Bloom in this installment. Most of this is unconfirmed by the studio, but I do believe they have said that they are aiming to start filming next spring for a tentative 2011 release. I'll post more info as it becomes available.
Should give us something to look forward to!

2 comments:

jennie said...

I mostly care about Johnny Depp anyway. I mean, Orlando is a babe, but he's better looking as an elf.

Katie said...

how can they continue the story without finishing what happens between orlando and chick?