Monday, April 13, 2009

"New Moon" casting news; "Friday Night Lights"

Although I sincerely doubt that anything could make me want to watch the Twilight sequel, New Moon, I am curious about some of the casting that has recently been announced. I previously reported that Dakota Fanning had been cast as Jane, but now comes news that acclaimed British actor Michael Sheen (Tony Blair from The Queen, David Frost from Frost/Nixon) has been cast as Aro. Either there is some unseen substance to this teeny-boppy vampire saga, or these actors are looking for a paycheck. In any case, their casting elevates the sequel ever-so-slightly above the original. Let's hope producers get a larger visual effects budget this time around.

Now for the bait & switch: I'd like change the subject to declare that I'm a bit of a closet fan of NBC's critically-acclaimed Friday Night Lights. I bought the first season DVDs when I found them in a bargain bin a year or so ago, and recall watching them during late-night Lily feedings when she was first born. While the show isn't always as squeaky clean as I would like, I am blown away by the first-rate acting and thematic depth from a show that I once blew off as a cheesy teen soap.

I realize it's a tough show to market, but NBC's marketing has completely mischaracterized Friday Night Lights. If I had to categorize the type of show it is, I'd say it's 20% sports drama, 10% high-school soap, 50% family drama, and 20% small-town drama. As funny as it sounds, it often reminds me of a modern-day Little House on the Prairie with a better-looking cast (with the caviat that it is grittier than Little House, but then what isn't?) That may be the oddest selling point I've ever made for a show I'm recommending, but I tell you, FNL gives me the chills almost every week.

FNL ended its stellar third season last Friday. I won't give anything away, in case any of you actually starts watching the show as a result of my recommendation. But let's just say that the show does a masterful job of respectfully sending off some of its beloved characters while setting up some interesting conflicts for the remaining cast. It's such an authentic, easy-going show that it's hard to believe the Dillon Panthers are an imaginary team, and that Coach Taylor and his family are fictional. It's really just great TV.

The best news here is that NBC and DirectTV have worked out a deal to continue their unprecedented partnership that funds the low-rated show for an additional two seasons. So while we get a more abbreviated season (13-episodes) than we're accustomed to from network dramas, at least we're getting more of this terrific show. I own the first two seasons, so if you'd like to RedBox them from me, just let me know; it would be great to have someone to talk about it with when the show returns next season.

I think I can authoritatively say that even Edward Cullen himself would be a fan of Friday Night Lights.

2 comments:

Chad Clean said...

I love FNL! One of the best shows on TV! I am glad you took the time to write about it.

Jts22 said...

Yes! FNL is ewy-guey television goodness. That Timmy Riggins is so hot right now... (awkward silence)