Monday, April 20, 2009

New Dan Brown book coming in September

Dan Brown is a great popcorn novelist. I've read three of his four books, and found that the structure and twists of each are reliably unpredictable, if that makes any sense. I wish I knew how to craft a page-turner as well as he does. Today comes news that Brown has apparently finished his next novel, which will be published in September. The novel will feature The DaVinci Code's Robert Langdon character (played by Tom Hanks in the film and in the upcoming Angels & Demons), although it is unclear where the mystery will be set (at one point it was rumored to revolve around U.S. history and/or the Masons). The new book will be called The Lost Symbol (a rather dull and ambiguous title if you asked me).

Update: Columbia Pictures has apparently already begun preliminary work on a film adaptation of The Lost Symbol, weeks before they know if Angels & Demons will be as lucrative to the studio as was The DaVinci Code.

I don't comment about books as often as I should, but I've been in a bit of a reading rut lately. I have at least four abandoned books sitting on my nightstand, just waiting to be finished (including Corman McCarthy's The Road and John Grisham's The Appeal). Last week Wendy and I decided that we'd reserve Tuesdays as a TV-free zone, and I actually got into a new book called The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It has been whimsical and creepy so far; I hope it doesn't end up in the wasteland that is my nightstand anytime soon...

If The Graveyard Book doesn't do it, what book would you recommend to break me of this literary drought?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I liked and hate The Appeal. Read it so we can talk about it.

The Flying V said...

The Book Thief. Good read, but more than that, it's written from an extremely creative and interesting vantage.
Then of course there's my personal all time fav...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. You'll love it or hate it.