Monday, January 26, 2009

Miscellaneous


Here are a few random things I felt were worth mentioning on a slow Monday morning:
  • Contrary to some reports, 24 has not announced any plans to end its run after next season. Although Kiefer Sutherland is not formally under contract beyond next season, he says, ""I love making the show, so I'm leaving my options open. And in all fairness, I think the audience will dictate that more than anybody." So don't lose hope, 24 fans! By the way, I'm digging the new season so far, although the President's husband subplot is a dud.
  • The new edition of The Amazing Race starts on Feb. 15, and the new contestants include the race's first deaf contestant, a couple of stuntmen/almost-midget brothers, and of course several more good-looking dating couples. See all of the teams here.
  • Wendy and I caught up on a couple of movies over the past couple of weeks, including Ghost Town (pretty funny and more layered than you would have expected), Speed Racer (brainless but breathtaking on Blu-ray), and Prince Caspian (predictable but better than expected). We also saw Marley & Me at the theater, and though it's not really a kid movie, was warm, touching, and funny.
  • Tom Hanks has "apologized" for his criticisms of Mormons' support of Proposition 8. While I appreciate that he decided to be a little more measured in his disagreement with Prop 8 supporters, sometimes I wonder why self-centered celebrities like Hanks think they have more of a right to shoot off their mouths publicly than normal Americans do at the ballot. I always knew that most of Hollywood disagrees with my political views, but it's really starting to affect my interest in enjoying their talents on the big and small screen.
  • Finally, for the Twilight fans, Dakota Fanning (War of the Worlds, I Am Sam) is reportedly being courted for the role of Jane in the upcoming film version of New Moon. I don't know anything about the character, but Fanning is a good actress and would add just a tiny dash of credibility to an otherwise corny (in my humble opinion) franchise. Does she meet your vision of Jane?

5 comments:

Katie said...

Not at all, I picture Jane as older.

Lindsay said...

I guess I pictured Jane as a bit older as well, but I think Dakota Fanning is a great little actress and I would be thrilled to see this next movie in the franchise kick it up a notch.

I can't wait to see who else they cast :)

Unknown said...

About the Amazing Race - were they "almost midget's or almost stuntmen"?

Michelle said...

Yeah! The Amazing Race. That's all I have to say about that.

jennie said...

Not in the slightest. I also picture Jane as older, less cute, and more frightening.