Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Harry Potter 6" gets a PG-rating

This isn't really the most exciting of news, but it's been fairly dead lately with everyone on holiday breaks, so any news is good news. Yes, for the first time since Prisoner of Azkaban, the next film installment of the Harry Potter series (Half-Blood Prince) will get a PG rating for "scary images, some violence, language and mild sensuality." It's a bit of a surprise, given some of the book's darker elements and scenes, but I guess I don't really care what it's rated as long as it stays true to the spirit of the book. The last film, Order of the Phoenix, got a PG-13, but wasn't nearly as dark (in my mind) as Goblet of Fire, which also received a PG-13.

I suppose the best result of this news is that some of my nieces and nephews will get to watch this movie before they turn 13, which should give us plenty to talk about at Sunday dinners next July. Can't wait!

9 comments:

Cassie said...

If my kids were awake they'd say Yah hoo!

Katie said...

Interesting. I wonder if it will stand up to it's rating.

Michelle said...

Cool.

Unknown said...

So surprising! I really wasn't expecting that. But I'm with you--I don't care as long as it stays true to the book. Still--the *sensuality* part makes me wonder...;D (Are they just talking about how Jenny is snogging Dean all the time and Ron is snogging Lavendar???)

Beutlerbunch said...

Exellent... no more edited and home made DVD's. But very suprising nonetheless.lenglyc

The Flying V said...

Hmmm....I don't know how I feel about this. This is a very dark period in the storyline, and it makes me nervous to think that they're sacrificing content to make a rating. On the other hand, they haven't worried about the PG-13 tag before, so it doesn't really stand to reason that they would start now.

On a different topic, I haven't visited the site in a bit (sorry), I like the new look!

Anonymous said...

I love your new format! It looks great. So this is not a comment about HP which I love of course, but a request. If you see Gran Torino I would love to read your write up.

Michelle said...

Wow. Check out the new design. FANCY.

Annie said...

You only think your nieces and nephews will be able to watch the movie. That's what's so funny!