Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 wrap-up

2008 was a different year for me in terms of my movie-going habits. I saw a fair number of movies, especially considering the cramp that a newborn puts in your style, but can only remember a couple that I felt like were truly great. Since I'm not sure I actually saw 10 new movies in the theaters, I'll resist the temptation to do a top 10 list, but I will list a few of my favorites for the year:
  • The Dark Knight: The most challenging, frightening, and rewarding movie I saw this year. I'd be really upset if it didn't at least get some acknowledgement at the Oscars in January, especially for Heath Ledger's amazing performance.
  • Wall-E: A truly unique experience, but it has held up very well upon further viewings. It's beautiful and simple, but as lyrical and sweet as anything else in 2008.
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: I never read the books, but this adaptation was a lot of fun, with just the right amount of magic and heart to qualify for a decent family popcorn film.
  • Indiana Jones 4: I know it was corny at times and hardly anything revolutionary, but it was also a lot of fun, and made the little boy in me smile more than anything else I saw this year.
I also enjoyed Iron Man, The Visitor, Hellboy II, and Eagle Eye. There's a lot scheduled to open here in 2009, including the next Harry Potter film...I wonder what movie will catch my imagination like these movies did this year.

What were your favorites this year?

5 comments:

ammonc said...

I give Wall-e negative two stars. At first we didn't want our kids to watch it because it was so ridiculously lame, but we finally gave in. I have not seen a movie that I disliked so much since watching Night of the Living Dead when I was 13. I am not sure how negative stars is worse than no stars, only that we will probably refuse to watch the next Pixar movie on principle.

Iron Man was a lot of fun.

I really liked the story of Hancock, but the language was very distracting.

Amy said...

Loved the Dark Night. I would have to say that was my favorite by far. Mat and I watched it again last night. I also really enjoyed Sex and the City, Iron Man, Baby Mama, The Other Bolyn Girl, and Eagle Eye. We don't make it to mthe movie much so I am still catching up on a lot of 2007 movies, but I must say I did indulge in a few silly movies, What Happens in Vegas, Forgetting Sarah marshall and the Dewey Cox Story, all which gave me several laughs. I am really looking forward to Inkheart, and Harry Potter in 2009.

l.g. mcfifi said...

RockinRolla sp? I love the Guy Ritchie stuff- we laughed at silly 4 Christmases...The Dark Knight was great as well, I liked Wall e and I was really surprised how much I liked Iron Man- oh, and Kung Fu Panda

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Hellboy II made your list? What? That movie wasn't even worth the dollar we paid. *shaking my head*

Justin said...

I forgot to mention "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" on the list of movies I really enjoyed in 2008. That Amy Adams is quite a lovely talent.