Thursday, September 11, 2008

WB announces "The Dark Knight" re-release

Well, I'm nothing if not a Hollywood psychic. A few weeks ago I speculated that one of the reasons for Harry Potter 6's move from November to July might have had something to do with the awards-season consideration for The Dark Knight. Now Warner Bros. has announced that they will re-release The Dark Knight into select theaters in January "as a reminder for people." Of course by "people," they mean "academy voters." Read about it here.

My theory wasn't all correct though: sources are saying that WB intends to release the Bat-sequel on DVD and Blu-ray sometime in December, meaning that the studio doesn't have any intentions of trying to top the box office heights of Titanic. Still, they'll make a killing off the DVDs during the holiday season, and the die-hards and industry insiders can still re-enjoy the movie on the big screen come 2009. Sounds like a pretty neat plan.

As for the film's Oscar odds, only time will tell. We're about to enter the season when studios release all their Oscar-bait prestige pictures, meaning that The Dark Knight will need to do something to stay fresh in potential voters' minds. Heath Ledger is a lock for a nomination (if not a win), but I'd be pleased to see the film considered for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenplay as well. As psychic as I am, we'll still have to wait until January like the rest of the world to find out.

3 comments:

KA said...

I still haven't decided if I can watch this or not. You need to convince me.

Amy said...

That is awesome. I can't wait to see it for time #3 in the theater. What a great movie.

Emily said...

So, some time Dan and I would still like to see this movie. We are so absorbed in watching 24 whenever we have a night off. Thanks for the dvd's, I promise one day we'll finish them!