Tuesday, August 12, 2008

J-Dawg vs. DISH

A few weeks ago I remember hearing on the radio that we consumers should try to haggle with some unlikely companies (include big box retailers, phone companies, etc.) about prices we disagree with. The thinking is that consumer-minded companies will bargain with us in order to keep (or obtain) our business.

With that in mind, I put this theory to the test today. Since I've been on an insatiable quest to obtain any and all things HD for my home (researching TVs, Blu-rays, and programming), I decided to call DISH Network and ask them what it would cost to upgrade my current equipment to HD equipment. The first time I called, the sales rep told me in no uncertain terms that the upgrade cost would be a flat $150 with an additional $10/month HD charge. Unsatisfied with his offer, I called back today and this time mentioned that I was a loyal DISH customer who was looking at some competitive offers. I said that I didn't want to leave DISH, but that I was unwilling to pay $150 to upgrade to an HD receiver. "Is there any way around that $150?" I asked. The polite sales rep paused and said, "There's nothing I can do, but I can transfer you to someone who can..." And just like that, I was on the phone with a friendly gentleman who, with very little hassle, agreed to waive the $150 upgrade charge.

Still thrilled with my consumer victory, I gamely asked the man (Jerry) if there was anything else he could do to lower our monthly cost. Once again, with very little hesitation, Jerry knocked off an additional $8.98 off our monthly bill, in essence making our complete HD upgrade cost us only about $1.02/month more than what we were already paying (now I just need the TV...).

Now that I've had some success with this bargaining business, I wonder if it's time to start calling everyone else who sends me a bill each month (watch out Springville City Utilities!) At the end of the day, I've got nothing to lose in asking for a better price.

Are there any other consumer secrets/successes that I should know about?

7 comments:

MEG said...

I did a similar thing with Comcast - called to turn off our cable TV for the summer but keep the net to lower costs. After the conversation I had both cable and net for 1/2 the price I had been paying previously! It made me wonder how much money I'd lost in the year that I didn't call to ask for a lower price...$60 a month!

Katie said...

That's awesome Jay! How but you call our mortgage company and see if you can reduce those payments...

PJC said...

right after Hal got back from his mission we went to the dump together. The 14 year old manning the entry gate told Hal that it would be $20 to dump his stuff. Without hesitation Hal replied, "Will you take eight?" The 14 year old dump technition paused speechless for a moment and then replied, "That'll be $20."

I don't think that it will work everywhere. At least not at the dump.

Unknown said...

Score J-Dawg: 1 Dish: 0! Call your credit card companies and negotiate lower interest rates.

Amy said...

Good luck with Springville City...Let me know how that goes for sure!!!Ü

bry said...

Alright, we're trying again with Comcast tomorrow. So far no success. More to come...

KA said...

To Megan: What on earth did you say to them to get them to reduce your bill by 1/2????