Wednesday, May 14, 2008

David vs. David

Syesha was good last night. Not great, but good. Which, in a perfect world, should be enough to get you through the next round of American Idol when you're up against two guys who had 2/3 of a great night, 1/3 of a really bad night. If I were giving grades for the whole evening, I'd probably give Syesha a solid "B" vs. Little David's "B-" and David Cook's "C+" night. Unfortunately for Syesha, she really needed to have a fantastic night, and didn't. She'll be gone tonight.

For the record, I'm not really too biased one way or the other about who should win the big show next week. I have really loved a few of both of the Davids' performances, but there are characteristics about each singer that grate on me a bit. Little David, for one, can't seem to remember his lyrics with any degree of confidence, and Rocker David seems to have an overwhelming amount of confidence, even when it is unwarranted. Both of them sang very well on their first songs last night, sagged through their awkward second songs, and went back to pretty good for their third (although David Cook's mediocre finale was overblown and overrated).

In the end, it will probably be little David that takes the cake, barring some devastating lyrical malfunction next week. David Cook won't be sad; he'll sell a gajillion records either way. And poor Syesha will probably go straight to Broadway, where dancing around a chair is not only commonplace, but encouraged. So really, in the words of the immortal Michael Scott, it's a win-win-win.

7 comments:

Amy said...

How can you give David Cook a C+??? He did way better than little David last night. That second song was a dissaster. I for one am voting for David Cook to win it all. I guess we will have to agree to disagree Ü

Michelle said...

LOL. Tough on big David??? I thought he was way better than a C+. I hope that big David takes the cake, though I think your prediction is probably accurate.

Stinsonian said...

I agree completely! Simon was on something to think rocker-David stole the show last night. Hardly.

jennie said...

UGHH!!! Rocker David drives me batty! I didn't even see the performance, but I can guess that he was slightly off key and screamed at the end of every song. Am I opinionated enough for your blog Jay? Aren't you excited for my pregnancy to be over so I'll be nicer?

PJC said...

I am pretty sure that in several states in the south it is a misdemeanor to butcher an Aerosmith song like Cook did on Tuesday night.

He was not only his typical poser self, but he was a bad singing version of his poser self. What at time to decide to go off key. Bad choice Davie.

Note to Dave, your unfounded confidence hits its limit when you try and mimic Steve Tyler. There is only one Steve Tyler (he swallowed the others in one bite).

I have never bought an album from an AI winner, or even from a contestant and I don't suspect that I ever will, but I am still rooting for lil David.

l.g. mcfifi said...

I didn't love the show this last Tues- but the week before when rocker David C sang the Who, "teen-age waste land" it melted my heart-I loved it! I hope he wins

KA said...

It's not that Cook is so good. It's that little David sings the same song every week. It drives me crazy.