Monday, August 13, 2007

HP7 review

I guess it is probably safe by now to run a late review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but just in case, if you haven't read it and don't want anything spoiled, please go read someone else's blog for a minute, ok?

Without further ado, let me say that I loved this book. The thing that was most satisfying about it is that it successfully wrapped up all the loose ends from the other six books. It was 700+ pages of pure payoff, and I loved that. Overall, I felt like the writing was as strong as any of her other books--tight, fast-paced, and exciting. Having said that, I did have a few minor reservations about the book. For one, I felt like the pacing was a little off in the middle section (when Harry, Ron, and Hermione are sitting around for what feels like years waiting for the horcruxes to just show up...). When compared with the almost breathless pace that she creates for most of the rest of the book, that middle section just sags a bit in my memory.

Additionally, I thought that the controversial epilogue felt a little out-of-place in comparison to the rest of the series--the writing just seemed a little sloppy and rushed. Don't get me wrong--I don't mind the idea of the "19 years later" idea, I didn't mind the sugary-sweet sentimentality of it, and I didn't even mind the almost-overwhelming introduction to Hogwarts: The Next Generation. I just felt like Rowling rushed it a bit, and I wish it had been a little sharper and a little more consistent with the discipline and charm she employs during the rest of the book.

Altogether, the book was a great, emotionally-satisfying read. And with the exception of poor Dobby (may he RIP), I was thrilled that the rest of the casualties were mostly for characters that I hadn't grown too attached to (now if she'd taken both Fred and George...). When you put all the books together as a whole, I think that we're looking at a new series of classics, and it was so fun to feel like I was part of the adventure--I can't wait to share it with my own children.

6 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

This was such a good book! I am going to miss the series but at least she ended it well.

PJC said...

LOVED the book, HATED the epilogue!

Unknown said...

I agree 100% with you Justin! We loved the book. The beginning started out so fast and exciting. One of my favorite chapters was The Seven Potters. The excitement was so unexpected for me. I loved it. Yes, the middle sagged a little. I wonder, though, if Rowling was trying to pull us into their world and invoke in us the feelings of hopelessness and frustration that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were feeling, by slowing down the plot. I know I was starting to get frustrated!

I loved the characters triumphs at the end during the battle. It was sweet! Yes, I am glad that I stuck with Harry to the end. To Harry Potter!

Annie said...

I too loved the book. Sad it's over. Can't wait to see what else JK Rowling has in store for us. I loved the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

it was great except the battle between voldemort and harry it was 2 spells and 1 of them u learn in 2nd year

Anonymous said...

should of been and coulda been 1000+ pager