Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nominations

The Oscar nominations came out today, and seemed for the most part to include no big shockers. The biggest surprise, however, is likely to enrage my sister-in-law, Kristen: the musical "Dreamgirls" led in total nominations (8), but was shut out of the major categories, including Best Picture and Best Director. It did, however, receive nominations for Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson's supporting roles.

The Best Picture nominees include the Brad Pitt drama, "Babel," Martin Scorcese's "The Departed," the independent favorite, "Little Miss Sunshine," the Royal Family drama, "The Queen," and Clint Eastwood's Japanese-spoken war epic, "Letters from Iwo Jima." For a complete list of the other nominees and plenty of commentary from people who know better than I, click here.

Since I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees (and likely won't), I can't say I'm terribly excited for this year's awards. I am, however, looking forward to seeing Ellen DeGeneres as the host; $10 says she'll wear a pant-suit instead of a gown...

3 comments:

Devry said...

The only one I have seen is "Little Miss Sunshine" and even then it was the edited version because I saw it on the plane. However, it was still hilarious and I loved it. But I do think that if I had ever bothered to see "The Queen" I would love that and would be wanting that to win.

Anonymous said...

The only one I would like to see is "The Queen". I've never even heard of "Little Miss Sunshine". I'm not surprised about Dreamgirls getting shut out of best picture, seems like a musical rarely gets nominated in that category.

KA said...

I bet you $20 bucks she'll wear a pantsuit.

And yes--I am deeply saddened that Dreamgirls was shunned even though I don't really think it would have won. I am pleased for Jennifer Hudson, however, who was truly brilliant in that movie.