Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"The Guardian" review

While reading the reviews for Kevin Costner/Ashton Kutcher's latest, I noticed frequent comparisons to "Top Gun." I must confess: I don't think I've ever seen "Top Gun" all the way through (before you lynch me, remember that there are one or two "classics" that each of you haven't seen as well...). Even so, I found myself trying to figure out what "The Guardian" had to do with "Top Gun." Anyone that can enlighten me is welcome to do so...

Now, on to the review. This Coast Guard drama/adventure is a pretty decent adventure most of the way through. Kevin Costner is likable enough in a role that is exactly what the ads make it look like: a tormented aging Coast Guard hero (Costner) takes a young hot shot (oh, maybe that's like "Top Gun") under his wing. The young hot shot is played by Ashton Kutcher, who really does seem like a cocky showoff and was perfect for the role. The biggest bulk of the movie covers the two actors love/hate relationship with each other, sprinkled with a few semi-thrilling action/rescue sequences. The acting is decent, the special effects are effective and convincing, and the story overall is interesting enough (those Coast Guard folk are pretty tough!).

I have a few minor complaints, however: the subplot detailing Kevin Costner's failing marriage wasn't quite as developed or resolved as it could have been. The movie itself was a bit too long, with several would-be endings that had me checking my watch a few times. And for a movie advertising itself as the next big adventure, it was somewhat lacking in the action department.

Finally, let's talk about the "moral of the story." For a movie that spends so much time building up and praising the efforts and sacrifices of the Coast Guard, I felt like the ending (which I will keep a secret, as should you) was sort of counterproductive. If anything, it reminded me why I never wanted to grow up and become a Coast Guard-er. Sorta like the "Miracle of Life" for the Coast Guard-crowd, because it could potentially convince its viewers they never want to go through with it...I know not everyone got the same message from the movie that I did...what did you all think?

In the end, it was a fun movie to go see on a Saturday night. Mostly clean, with the exception of one random F-bomb and a few other minor bombs here and there. My complaints shouldn't have convinced you not to see this movie, because looking back on it I rather enjoyed it. Nice to see Costner in a tolerable movie again. (*** out of four)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan had never seen Top Gun either. It's craziness! Based on your review there's not a lot similarities between the two movies except for the "young, new hotshot" character. Was there a volleyball scene? That's what made Top Gun a true classic.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say, Ryan has never seen Top Gun. Clearly, I shouldn't comment so early in the morning.

Justin said...

Hmm, don't remember any volleyball. Although there were a couple of gratuitous shirtless swimming scenes...

Anonymous said...

Jay- I am so glad you reviewed this movie. I had no intention to see it. I did not even know what is was about. After reading your blog I am going to take my dad. He was in the coast gard for 5 years and I know he would love it. Thanks-
Lacy Fife

Chanelle said...

your movie reviews saved my troubled marriage. You are the biggest sweetie.