Saturday, July 08, 2006


"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"

Finally, a summer movie that lives up to its hype; the second "Pirates" is everything I'd expect from a summer popcorn movie. It's one of those sequels that expects not only that you have seen and remember the first movie (and rewards you for it), but it also expects that you enjoyed it. So by way of disclaimer, if you haven't seen or didn't like the first "Pirates" movie, this one probably isn't for you. Otherwise, you're going to love it.

Let's start with the production values: this is one of those big-budgeted movies that shows every single penny on-screen. It really looks like it must have cost $200 million to make; the costumes, sets, locations--all exotic. Then there are the visual effects, which in some scenes really blew me away. Just the amount of detail amazes me, from the wonderfully unique designs of Davy Jones' ship and crew all the way down to the seemingly simple things, like the rust on the gates of the jail, etc. Although this is clearly a fantasy, this pirate world feels very authentic. Some have complained that the special effects (which, granted, are more abundant in this installment) are distracting and gratutitous. I disagree; the movie is beautiful to watch, and the effects are important to the integrity of the story. The movie feels epic on every level.

The story this time is a bit more complex, with a myriad of characters and subplots winding around each other. This usually works to the film's advantage; there is so much story to tell that there isn't enough time to belabor any particular plot-point or linger in one location for too long. Occasionally some of the characters speak in heavy accents that are difficult to understand (made me wish I had my DVD remote for some subtitles), and there are a few too many characters to keep track of. Overall, however, the storytelling is pretty straightforward, with every separate story coming together for a thrilling (though lengthy) series of climactic action scenes; I found myself smiling through most of the last 30 minutes.

Beyond the action and effects, the story continues and advances the storylines of our three main characters: Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) have been separated and forced to track down Captain Jack Sparrow (the great Johnny Depp) in order to preserve their freedom and finally marry. Captain Jack, however, is dealing with his own demons (literally), and can't seem to escape his pirate tendencies. The entire cast is first rate, but once again, this is Johnny Depp's movie, and never lets Captain Jack into an irritating, predictable, or boring character. As with the first movie, you're not sure whether he's a good or bad character, but he's always likable. I think he's one of the most unique and memorable characters in the movies today.

The movie does end in a cliffhanger, which may upset some. But the film does such a great job of keeping your attention (for nearly three hours, I might add) that I would have been willing to jump right into part 3. Gratefully, the wait for the next installment is less than a year, around Memorial Day of next year.

If you can't tell by now, I really liked this movie. While not a perfect film, it's almost everything that I would hope for out of a fantasy-pirate-action-comedy-summer event movie, and for that reason, I'm giving it four stars. Having seen it now, I can predict with confidence that it will not only be the biggest movie of the summer, but likely the year, and deservedly-so. It's probably not the most important movie of the year, but it's definitely the most fun. (**** out of four)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta say, Dave and I hated this movie. Too many subplots, not enough development. But what do we know? We were probably tainted by the discomfort of our second-row seats.

Justin said...

It was definitely the seats.

KA said...

I watched the first Pirates for the first time on Saturday night. And I stayed awake for the whole thing. Does that count for anything?

Devry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Devry said...

I must go on record as well. I detested this movie. I was so ready to like it. I agree with Lacy. This movie had like 180 plot lines, not one of which was resolved in the 2 and half hour movie. I paid my money to watch a story with some resolution (any resolution at all would have been appreciated). Instead I got suckered in by Disney who now wants me to give them another 8 dollars so I can see how the story ends. Ridiculous.

But as Justin said, the movie is beautiful and Depp is amazing as always, but I was way too ticked off to enjoy that part of it. And I have to tell you that the 3 people I have talked to here at work who have seen it also hated it.

In other news, I loved "The Devil Wears Prada" although I agree with Wendy. But Streep was fab.

Justin said...

I'm losing all my street cred...isn't there anyone who loved this movie like Wendy and I did?

Anonymous said...

Jay! I will come to your rescue, as will Lindsey Paulson. I loved it, loved the detail and the humor...It was a bit long, but i rarely see movies in the theatre so that is ok... can I also mention that I went on a Sunday in the great UC and it was SOLD OUT! This didn't even happen for LOTR. Gotta love a good looking guy who drinks rum. Can't wait for the 3rd. I am proud of disney this time around.
Lacy Fife

PJC said...

I enjoyed the movie for a few reasons. 1. Johnny Depp
2. beautiful set design 3. Johnny Depp 4. creative dialogue, accents and costumes. 5. Johnny Depp 6. it's about pirates.

I didn't like the movie for a few reasons. 1. the creative accents were a little hard to understand. 2. the plot was sooooo busy
3. I like Orlando Bloom much better as Legolas. (Will Turner is a little drab) 4. The ki** was a little heartbreaking... or was it? 5. never enough Johnny Depp 6. cliffhangers are always hard. 7. it was a little darker and a little more violent than the first.

Overall, I thought it was a great movie, I would pay full price to see it again. I feel like I need to see it again in order to understand more. But, really, I loved it.

PJC said...

It all hinges on the third movie. I will either love or hate this movie based on what sort of story explanation they give me in the third. They need to explain more to me, I didn't "get" enough of the story. If they just start over with a new third movie loosely tied to the second I will be bitterly disappointed.

PJC said...

oh... and I rather enjoyed the kiss, I was rooting for Jack all along
peter