Sunday, June 18, 2006


Irresistible "Nacho"

Let's get one thing straight: if you weren't a fan of "Napoleon Dynamite" and its quirky, pointless, and warped sense of humor, you probably won't find much of value in "Nacho Libre." Still, it's hard for me to imagine anyone not being able to crack a smile--guilty or otherwise--at the sight of Jack Black in stretchy pants.

Like with "Napoleon," the story is really superfluous, and that is probably the biggest drawback for the movie. Nacho (Jack Black) dreams of being a lucha-libre wrestler, but knows that it is a sin (seeing as how he's a monk). He also pines for the beautiful new nun, Incarnacion, that has joined the orphanage where he serves. So it only kinda makes sense when Nacho decides to start wrestling in order to buy better food for the orphans--is he doing it for himself or for the orphans? For Incarnacion? It's never really clear, even in the end, but you cheer for him anyway.

Nacho's Mexican sidekick, Esqueleto (skeleton), is hilarious. He's obsessed with corn-on-the-cob and flip-flops (a winning combination in my book), and screams like a little girl everytime he gets in the ring. He's the Pedro to Nacho's Napoleon, and makes for a worthy companion to the warmhearted monk, both in and out of the ring.

But Jack Black is really the star here, and gives his best performance since "School of Rock." Both films showcase a semi-selfish dreamer with a love for children who aims high and almost reaches those heights. The role, again, is underwritten, leaving Black to improvise a bit as to his character's mannerisms and motivations, but he's always humorous, and likable enough to carry the film on his caped shoulders. Black has the most expressive eyebrows in film today, and he uses them to his advantage; just thinking about him talking about the "nitty gritty" with his wacky brows gives me the giggles.

Make no mistake, Jared Hess (the director of "Napoleon") probably lingers on Jack Black's curvy frame more that is necessary; it's a joke that makes you giggle until about 2/3 through the movie, when you start hoping for a bit more substance. Consequently, "Nacho Libre" won't change your life. But it will make you smile, so long as you check your intellect and maturity at the door. (*** out of four)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay- I just loved Nacho- I giggled the entire time. I am such a Jack Black Fan. Thanks for doing your blog you do a great job. Nate and I really liked the Family stone. And I know someone will probably beat me up over this- but I enjoyed Hedge more than Cars. My three year old became antzy in cars and I thought it was too long.The graphics were amazing though, and I loved the Luigi character who ran the tire shop. Ice age 2 is the best movie so far this year for me as far as kids go. I also liked Da Vinci Code, Nate had not read the book, and loved it.

Lacy Fife

Justin said...

"Cars" is our next movie, unless I cave in and see "The Lake House." We'll try to hit Ice Age and Over the Hedge in the dollar theater. Glad you liked them! I'm still waiting for a movie to just blow me away this summer--maybe "Superman" could do it, but my hopes are high for "Pirates 2."

Shums said...

I think the funniest part of your review is when you mention that Jared Hess lingers too long on Jack Black's curvy frame and the joke made you hope for a bit more "substance." Personally, I'd like to see as little of Jack Black's "substance" as possible...