Monday, June 05, 2006


Don't Pass this "Stone"

Wendy and I somewhat skeptically rented "The Family Stone" on Saturday, worried that it might either be dirty or boring or both. And while it had a few bits of "colorful" dialogue, it was also surprisingly engaging and entertaining. Here's Wendy's take: "It made me laugh and cry, all in a matter of moments." Here's my take: it was surprisingly funny, but also had a heavier (more dramatic) tone to it than you would expect from the movie's whimsical trailers. I only include that to mention that it is a little heartier a movie than you might expect.

The movie has a dream cast, including Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel McAdams, Claire Danes, and some men too. All of them are surprising and charming and funny. My favorites were Luke Wilson (as the slacker brother with a big heart) and Rachel McAdams (taking a surprising supporting role as a frumpy, snotty sister). Parker and Keaton also had their moments, but didn't really get to share any great scenes together.

The basic premise of the movie is fairly pedestrian: the oldest Stone son (Dermot Mulroney) brings home his uptight almost-fiance (Parker) to meet the family for Christmas. The Stone family is, of course, very liberal and open--affectionate, emotional, loud, etc., and isn't too thrilled about the new would-be addition to their tight-knit group. Over the course of about two days, there are lots of comical fights, uncomfortable conversations, and family secrets revealed (though none of them of the "skeletons in the closet" variety). And by the end, everyone ends up exactly where you hope they will. Predictable, but not offensively so.

Though the Stone family is more liberal on social issues than I would be, happily the movie is almost more about showing how liberals can be just as stuffy and closed-minded as conservatives, so I never felt like I was being pandered to. The most refreshing thing about the Stones was how much they all loved each other, despite their quirks and foibles. It has some tear-jerker moments, but never becomes depressing or melodramatic. It's not perfect, but it is worth the few dollars for the rental. In the end, it's a feel-good movie, and sometimes that's just what you need on a Saturday night. (***1/2 out of four)

5 comments:

KA said...

We saw this in the theatre and I remember being pleasantly surprised by its substance as well. Can't remember much of it now, but it was an entertaining night out at the time....

Devry said...

I saw it in the theater as well (with KA I believe). I also recently re-watched the movie on my flight down to Puerto Vallarta. Quinn tried not to watch it. He refused to put on the head phones. But he kept leaning over to me and asking me to explain what was going on. I finally told him not to fight it anymore, and just but the darn (alas, I used harsher language but will sensor it for your family friendly blog) head phones on. He eventually caved and watched "The Family Stone" with me.

Justin said...

It had a tendency to look like a Lifetime Movie of the Week, but the stellar cast kept it from getting to corny. Glad you liked it.

Devry said...

Justin,

Where is your review of "X-Men: The Last Stand"? I have been eagerly awaiting it.

Justin said...

Haven't seen X-men yet; all my friends went without me (ahem!). Maybe this weekend...